Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was finally able to get the bike running after cleaning the carbs 3 times.. Now it seems to be backfiring through the exhaust! Fire is also coming out the exhaust pipe when I pull the throttle back with load popping.. I pulled the spark plugs and found the right side was wet with black oil. cleaned and re-gaped the spark plugs.. still popping and backfiring with flames. Pulled the plugs out again no oil. I am pretty stumped on what to do at this point. I've even tried messing with the needle valves but to no luck. any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Talked to my local Honda cycle center and the gentlemen there said that because I do not have an air box on and only pods it seems that I am running to lean and need to re-jet the carbs. What number jets do I need for this bike?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The air cut off can cause poor idle and a very rich mixture.

if the carb is working right with pods and the small jets it should be lean --- you are saying its way too rich. The air cut off valve is to prevent popping of exhaust.

honda put it there customer confidence.(a smooth exhaust note)when 1 goes bad on my bike i block and leave it that way.

you can test for a bad cut off by blocking the air orifice with a piece of rubber if you leave it blocked it will/may pop

get the carbs right before rejet

My 2 cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts