Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still thinking about clubmans. The thing that put the damper on the idea before was not being able to use them w/ the stock gauges. But today while I was out I realized... I don't really use the gauges. The tac is already dead and I hardly ever check my speed since I know where I'm at via engine note and gear, so is there any good reason not to just pull them and run without them? I've certainly seen plenty of bikes that don't have them, esp. older bikes.

Am I missing something? -Nick

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Are you sure they don't work with the stock gauges? Never heard that.

I would keep the gauges but that's just me. And I would replace the broken one.

·
Registered
602 Posts
In most states you need at least a speedometer to be legal, but a GPS would meet that requirement. Personally, I would'nt want to run without also having at least a functioning oil idiot light and a temp guage. I also fly aircraft and have come to kinda like having gauges on the bike to "scan", so I am looking for the guage set to add to one of my Interstate fairings.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Not sure about the aforementioned legality of having no speedo in Oregon.

Here on the UK its mandatory but some have used those wee bicycle computer things

to get around that.

I find the tacho the least useful and could happily live without it if it broke

I'd be uneasy without indications that alls well with oil and temp

What you could do is compromise by taking a minimalist approach

for instance

bicycle computer/speedo

3mm leds in place of the neutral and oil lights and high beam and indicator tell tales too if used

I knocked up a home brew temp indicator that works pretty well and it uses leds to tell me

what goin on re coolant and that takes up little space.

the circuits in the tech section.

You could have all these things displayed in an area of say 2" by 2" all lumped together

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, temp. That is one I don't want to be without. I forgot that. I have an electric fan on a toggle and probably watch the temp gauge more than anything else.

Hmm. I really like some of the single bucket gauges I've seen people using but I don't so much care for the price. Pirating some home brew equipment is very much my speed. I like that. Some kind of super cheap, homemade cluster sounds like fun. Thanks for the idea.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts