Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, back working on my bike again after a year long 'break'. :)

Carbs were rebuilt using that Larry's Carb Guide book... cleaned, sonic cleaned, re-jetted for no air box, etc...

Problem I'm having is that well, firstly I bought a 'basic' rebuild kit off eBay. Didn't come with the rubber carb plugs, rubber cutoff valves, and the bowl gaskets don't seem to fit properly.

Cutoff valves, I know what I need to get so no issues there.

Carb plugs... are there different sizes between models? I saw somewhere that there were large and small ones, Randakk I believe for the A or B variant. Also sometimes see a set of 4 for sale that say they fit my bike, though mine only requires 2. Just trying to figure out what I need and who has them for sale.

Gaskets... ones I have seem small. I had to stretch them to fit, tape them in place and leave in the hot sun last summer to hopefully stretch them out, otherwise, no way to get the bowl on without the gasket going out of place. Should the gasket not be the exact size? no stretching required? or is this 'normal' behaviour? Debated buying another set but worried same issue.

Also debating starting over and just getting the full Randakk kit, though a waste of time/work, but, may prove to be better and maybe cheaper than buying the 3 parts on their own.

I also have a spring question that will have to wait until I am home to get a photo because no idea what it's called... :)

·
Super Moderator
21,153 Posts
There are two size plugs. the earlier bikes with the pressed in idle jet take a slightly smaller plug than the 80? onwards bikes with the screw in idle jet. Your bike should be pressed in with the small plug. The sets of 4 are what I buy as I get through a few and am a cheapskate.

I often have to manipulate float bowl gaskets to get them to fit. Sometimes I pin them down with a feeler gauge or two while fitting the bowl. I have resorted to glueing them to the bowl with a small amount of contact adhesive. It's nice when they just fit though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered if they needed to stretch or defective... wasn't sure if other had the issue or not, or, if needed a glue. Mine are considerably small and almost spring back when you let go trying to get them on. Glue or a heat gun (carefully) was my next thought.

Plugs... for example, this eBay seller... if I put in '79 Honda CX500, it says it does not fit, but if I put in CX500C or CX500D, it says it fits. I go to another seller, same plugs, says it fits all 3 versions... that's where I'm left guessing.

eBay Plugs

EDIT - Just noticed, that link, if you use the drop downs it says it doesn't fit the CX500, but scrolling down he has a list that says it does. Same ad, says it does and doesn't :)

·
Super Moderator
21,153 Posts
I have always had issues with buying the plugs. the listings are confusing and often wrong. I used to buy them from Sirius consolidated and bought them in both sizes on the same order to make sure of getting the correct ones. If ordered for one or the other I always seemed to get the wrong ones.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Funny you mentioned Sirius because I was looking at them just before I posted here. They have a location here in Ontario, near where I use to live so, shipping is cheaper, no duty, and here in days... but their site since last I looked has gotten harder to search I think. Their eBay store though has the plugs showing but again, confusing. They have 2 eBay ads with the same photo for the same plugs, but on says Canada, other says USA and $14 difference between the two... ???

May just have to email, ask, and hope who answers knows what they're talking about.

Though their price is 3-4x that of the Taiwan seller... at $34-$47 plus the cut-off valves... would definitely be cheaper to look into the Randakk kit.

Not bad though... looking again seems that his kit is mainly rubber parts... kit I bought online was mostly all the springs, needles, jets, and other metal bits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts