cx500 frame with a 650 engine
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to wire in a rpm redline light. That’s all I want lol

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Interesting Q.
I am assuming you are thinkin' mechanical tacho..or nil tacho..😀 ....and some form of ignition sensor/resistor switch, or a simple pickup on the spark pkug lead?

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
Remember "car components" will need some extra water/dust ingress protection...
One could probably find a similar unit for marine application :D

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
A sensitive ear gives a good redline warning. I suspect that most never reach the redline based on the number of user wishing for a 6th gear.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Id agree most can tell the difference between 8000 and 10000...dunno bout better accuracy...
But hey too many live bands in my past.. might b in the minority...

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts
I only hit redline when I miss second gear. 🙄

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts
Why would you need a shift light on a scooter? Why would you need one on a motorcycle, for that matter?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Why would you need a shift light on a scooter? Why would you need one on a motorcycle, for that matter?
i think its a case of, just because you can doesnt mean you should. i only make the scooter assumption as it lists the SW with abs and non abs options. To me that means they are intercepting the speedo signal, tho im not sure how that ties into the shift light.

the only reason i can see needing one on a motorcycle is for those folks out there who delete all their gauges "for the cafe looks and style" but still dont know how to ride the bike.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,410 Posts
also, even though it lists the sliver wing...gotta remember that the silver wing morphed into a scooter :sick::sick::sick:
Um... The SilverWing is the GL500/650 made in the early '80s. The Silver Wing (note the space) is the scooter introduced in 2001. With 17 years between them there was no "morphing" involved and the only things they have in common ar being made by Honda and having 2 wheels.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Um... The SilverWing is the GL500/650 made in the early '80s. The Silver Wing (note the space) is the scooter introduced in 2001. With 17 years between them there was no "morphing" involved and the only things they have in common ar being made by Honda and having 2 wheels.
uhm no. you cant go " well yea its the same name but uh, yea theres a space so its different!" silver wing vs silverwing. same name. the 80's silver wing morphed into the scooter silver wing just so they could have a smaller, cheaper version of the goldwing (or is it GOLD WING??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) to sell next to it. look at the 80's gw and sw. the sw was (presumably) cheaper than the gw, and was a less capable touring bike than the gw, just like the 2001 sw and gw.

·
Super Moderator
18,410 Posts
As I said, there was 17 years between the end if the SilverWing and the introduction of the Silver Wing and there were no steps in between. By definition morph means to change from one thing to another gradually in small steps.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As I said, there was 17 years between the end if the SilverWing and the introduction of the Silver Wing and there were no steps in between. By definition morph means to change from one thing to another gradually in small steps.
meh not really. the 80's silverwing morphed into the scooter silverwing and you cannot change my mind.

·
Super Moderator
18,410 Posts
The Silver Wing may have a similar place in the line but you really should look up the definition of morph.

BTW: Who would ever have thought when the CX/GL500 models were in production that scooters with larger displacement would one day be common?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts