Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Big Sur and will be heading to Flagstaff in a few days, then up to Colorado and eventually back home to Minneapolis. I'm seeing projections for temps in the 100s all over the place. Not sure my 81 GL500 will take that kind of heat. (Details about heating issues with the bike can be found here: http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/8745-getting-hot-should-i-be-concerned/)

Any suggestions as to cool (in both senses of the word) route options, particularly through Southern CA to Northern AZ? I'm not in a hurry.

A friend suggested I get up at 4am and ride until noon each day. Any other tips for riding through heat in general?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm in Big Sur and will be heading to Flagstaff in a few days, then up to Colorado and eventually back home to Minneapolis. I'm seeing projections for temps in the 100s all over the place. Not sure my 81 GL500 will take that kind of heat. (Details about heating issues with the bike can be found here: http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/8745-getting-hot-should-i-be-concerned/)

Any suggestions as to cool (in both senses of the word) route options, particularly through Southern CA to Northern AZ? I'm not in a hurry.

A friend suggested I get up at 4am and ride until noon each day. Any other tips for riding through heat in general?
its well over 100 here every day these months,your gl will handle it fine,if properly serviced....its you that wont handle it.no rides for me after midday,the bike goes away...ill go along with your friends advice.

4 till noon is 8 hours,7 after stops....so you are going to cover about 400 miles a day,that sounds about right.

iv already read your issues,i dont think its going to be hard to be happy.

enjoy your trip,if your staying in downtown flagstaff,take earplugs

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Any other tips for riding through heat in general?

Hey, a new Mpls guy! Welcome! I hope you can come on our annual spring ride next year.

The bike won't mind the heat near as much as you will. Wear a mesh riding jacket and soak your t-shirt under it with a garden hose. If the initial shock of putting the wet shirt on doesn't cause cardiac arrest, you will really like it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
and soak your t-shirt under it with a garden hose. If the initial shock of putting the wet shirt on doesn't cause cardiac arrest, you will really like it.
ha ha ha Wayne,thats exactly what i did after work this morning,got on my bike dripping wet[washed it under the tap],for the 1/2 ride home.you look silly for the first 3 minutes,heaven for the next 10.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.