Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

New to the forum, have read through it though for awhile. I recently purchased a 1982 CX500 Custom, been doing a lot of maintenance because the previous owner neglected.

New charge air tubes, air filter, oil change, flushed coolant, coolant hoses, water pump mechanical seal, Tires.

So.. my issue here that i've been fighting is that when i replaced the w/p mechanical seal i decided to clean the carbs.. and i was lazy about it and just used took off the bowls and cleaned with carb cleaner, i did spray out quite a bit, there was some sediment. I took out all jets and cleaned except for the idle jet, that i could not use a screwdriver to get out.

i took out the bottom idle adjustments and replaced, then screwed out 2.5 turns as recommend.

The bike is now idling rough, where it did not do so before, it accelerates slow at first but then picks up fine. the only thing i can think of is that when i tried to take out the idle jets under the rubber plug i marred up the idle jet insert on the inside where i fought it with a screwdriver for the right carb ever so slightly before giving up.

The last peice of relevant info i can think of is i had to split the carbs from each other because the cross fuel tube started to leak, had to replace the o rings.

Any thoughts here would be appreciated, since it was good before i screwed myself, the idle jets are my guess.. or that the carbs need to be synced better. Visually the butterflies looked matched on the bench.

I'm no carb expert and idk if slight marring or slightly off syncing is enough to do this.

thanks ahead of time for any input.

·
Registered
904 Posts
You might have to start from scratch with the carbs. Buy Larry's carb book, rebuild kit, and an ultrasonic cleaner for a proper fix.

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Did the jets go back in the right positions? The larger jet goes into the brass fitting { secondary emulsion tube
Yes I made sure that was correct- I was never able to get the idle jet out under the rubber plug, I tried with a small screwdriver and where the screwdriver recess is in the jet it got slightly marred, that should be the only difference I know of when I put it back in the bike.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
i took out the bottom idle adjustments and replaced, then screwed out 2.5 turns as recommend.
Did you replace them with aftermarket screws? Do you still have the OEM screws, if so go back to OEM.
Also highly recommend Larry's carb book. Cleaning the screw in jets would be my first thought. boiling the carbs and or some Pb Blaster may loosen them up. good luck

·
Registered
542 Posts
Make sure the pistons/slides move up and down freely. They may not be sliding up and down, engine vacuum is supposed to pull them up.

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for your help- in the sake of trying what I had at my disposal I did use pb blaster and got the idle jets free and cleaned them, it’s idiling much better and throttle response is great.

there’s still more to do but today was a success!

thanks,

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,215 Posts
Welcome, 'Dude!
I see you're in Minnesota. Look in my signature for the annual Spring Ride, June 5th this year.
Are you in the Twin Cities? I'll be happy to help if you need assistance.

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome, 'Dude!
I see you're in Minnesota. Look in my signature for the annual Spring Ride, June 5th this year.
Are you in the Twin Cities? I'll be happy to help if you need assistance.
looks awesome! I’ll find out if I’ve got any conflicts and let you know thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts