Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to motorcycles, especially to motorcycle repair. I have been tinkering a bit though and I am in need of help badly. I have a 1981 Honda cx 500 Custom. I recently replaced a carb boot and both air filter boots and now my bike is accelerating very roughly in first gear (in all gears for that matter). When I give it gas then the engine revs very hard but doesn't go as fast as it should and the exhaust begins to pop a little like it can't keep up with what its being given. Also my bike shakes when I accelerate enough in 1st gear as if its getting too much gas or something. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? Please someone I need your help!! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
If it revs up faster than it moves, you may have a clutch issue. If the engine runs roughly, that would lead to carbs and or fuel delivery. Or maybe even electrical.

Please take a moment to add your location to your profile, and your bike model and year to the signature line. Might be someone near you to lend a hand.

Also, look in the General Discussion section for the Quick Reference. There is a ton if info in there.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yeah the real question is how did it run before you put the new boots on ? Did it do the same thing ?

IF NOT then you possibly don't have them secured correctly or tight enough and there's an air leak ?

Other than that it sounds like dirty carbs that need to be cleaned.

AS WELL check your spark plug boots for CRACKS.....experienced here on that issue when I first got my bike...it can make you THINK you have OTHER issues.

If it shakes like that when you accelerate and it doesn't seem to really be moving according to how you accelerate then you MIGHT have a brake that is sticking...if so more than likely the front one ?

Just some ideas.....but DO let us know how it ran BEFORE you installed the new boots !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.