Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
1982 cx500C is the one year that will not be interchangeable, as it's the TI engine. All GLs are also not interchangeable, being TI.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Which rotor,,brake rotor or flywheel/rotor?

I think Stitch is talking brakes and Rich is talking flywheel

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,106 Posts
yes.

Same forks, same tires, same rotor. As long as they're from the same year range.
Didn't the '80 and '81 Customs have a leading axle fork? I don't think the Deluxe ever did.

R

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Didn't the '80 and '81 Customs have a leading axle fork? I don't think the Deluxe ever did.

R

My 81C has leading axle and 35mm forks,,my 80C does not have leading axle and has 33mm forks.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anybody know if this rotor...

Can be replaced with this one...

The first one is off an 1981 CX500C, the second is off an 1982 CX500C. Any ideas if just the rotor can exchange, or would I have to replace the caliper/mount/pads as well?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Anybody know if this rotor...

Can be replaced with this one...

The first one is off an 1981 CX500C, the second is off an 1982 CX500C. Any ideas if just the rotor can exchange, or would I have to replace the caliper/mount/pads as well?

They don't look directly interchangeable to me.The top one looks like it's a single piston calliper and the bottom one a dual piston type.You would need the callipers to match.

·
Registered
816 Posts
To me, the braking surface area looks to be thinner on the '82 than the '81. As Shep mentioned one looks to be single piston and the other for a dual piston which has a different shaped brake pads.

So, do you need a '81 rotor? The one on the top looks pretty scarred!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
dual set up rotors have about 32mm of biteable disc

[at least they do on mine]

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
As long as the dish or offset is "exactly" the same and surface area of the rotor is big enough to contain the edges of the pads it will work... also it has to the same thickness... The 82 rotor is a 5mm thickness and has a 33mm face. I'm not sure about the earlier models.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks guys! I had a feeling it wouldn't be that easy of a swap (don't want to do caliper/pads just yet)I was just thinking a slotted rotor would be a nice up-grade and there are a few on ebay right now. Oh well, maybe a winter project.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
If you wanted dual discs keep an eye out for a front end off a CB400n Superdream/CB750/CB900(Old Version).

One of my CX had CB400N forks with CB900 callipers.Straight swap on the 1980A UK CX500s but you do need dual brake lines.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you wanted dual discs keep an eye out for a front end off a CB400n Superdream/CB750/CB900(Old Version).

One of my CX had CB400N forks with CB900 callipers.Straight swap on the 1980A UK CX500s but you do need dual brake lines.
Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.