Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short: I was looking to do a valve clearance check. My mind was somewhere else. I was turning the cover of the crank bolt in the wrong direction and it broke.
The Broken part must be in the engine. I haven't touched it once I realized this.

That missing piece looks too big to ignore. I think I'll have to take off the front of the engine case to get this piece out.

Does that mean removal of the headers, radiator, fan, and related parts?
Does anyone have an extra cover I available for purchase?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
unless the missing threaded section is still sitting where you can pick it out of the case threads then you have a disassembly job on your hands to retrieve it.. it doesn't look like there is anything for you to retrieve - so you will need to retrieve the broken pieces or trust your luck......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do not trust your luck- you will have to remove the front engine cover and retrieve all the pieces. If you don't, they often end up going between the primary gears and clutch housing gear and locking up the engine, along with bending up the thinner primary gear- which will be a real expensive mess. Pull the front cover now and get it fixed right.

-Mark-

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Those caps are common as muck and easy to source a they're used on various hondas
CG125 GL1100 etc

Best practise is
get new front cover gasket and o rings for the oil system
drop the oil and water
remove headers, rad and fan
disconnect the clutch cable and oil pressure cable and remove the 8mm headed bolts
AS you remove the cover be warned theres a wee ally oil meteing niplle that sits between the
cover and the gearbox
Note its position and dont lose or forget it !
Also the clutch pusher thing which may drop out

While your in there remove the oil pump and check/clean the strainer and
adjust oil pump chain on reassembly
The oil system is where its best to renew the related O rings so pay attention to
what goes where.

When ithe front cover is back on fill with oil but dont do the cooling system yet
connect up the oil light switch
crank the motor on the button with kill switch off
(we dont want it to start yet)
and watch the oil light..
If it goes out after a bt of cranking, youre safe and can carry on with reassembly
If it doesnt go out, you've made an error and will have to go back in

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Nice explanation, Reg. I think I am going to stick it in the Wiki for future reference.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Reg.....just a note. The fan, rad and headers do not need to be removed to pull the front cover.

I've had to pull mine off twice to fix the PITA leak on the gasket on the upper RH corner of that cover. Finally, cured the issue with a combo of black gasket goo and paper gasket.

Of course, you can remove those items, makes accessibility easier.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Reg.....just a note. The fan, rad and headers do not need to be removed to pull the front cover.

I've had to pull mine off twice to fix the PITA leak on the gasket on the upper RH corner of that cover. Finally, cured the issue with a combo of black gasket goo and paper gasket.

Of course, you can remove those items, makes accessibility easier.
I'm sure you're right Knute
wasnt 100% sure about the fan but figured it would be better out of the way
I have always had 2 into 1 pipes and the headers dont clear the front cover as much as 2-2s do
I'm looking at mine now and while I might just get the cover off with them in place, it woudl be fiddly.
Spending the few minutes it takes to whip them off gives me lots of elbow room.

In fact the ease and speed of removing a 2-1 system is why i've never bothered to fit 2-2s

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone.
I checked and could not see the broken part by the hole. Looks like the cover comes off.
My local dealer had the cap on hand. New, the part cost about $9.50 US without the rubber gasket. Good thing I saved that. I could have looked online but it was quicker just to buy it local.

Here's the part and pics.
Part #12361-300-000

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few questions for the front cover removal:
1. Do I need to remove the front forks. It looks like there's plenty of clearance if they stay on.
2. Since I may need to remove the rad and fan, should I flush the coolant after reassembly? I have no clue if and when it was done last.
3. Is there a resource/website for gaskets and 0-rings?

I'll search the CX WIKI as well to get any additional details.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,215 Posts
You'll need to remove the radiator, fan, and the rubber radiator mount that remains in the right-hand side of the front engine hanger. Have a new front cover gasket on hand, and watch for the oil meter jet above and to the right of the clutch assembly. It will take a little finagling to get the cover off and on past the engine hanger, but it's very doable. (I did it just this Spring.)

R

P.S. While it's open, it's not a bad idea to replace all the o-rings on the oil-delivery pipes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Repairs are complete but I'll post some notable items throughout the process.

First, here's the broken pieces. One part was at the bottom of the oil reserve, the other caught in the oil pump chain and gear. It's a good thing I decided not to turn the engine over.
IMG_3837.jpg
IMG_3842.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm concerned about these plastic scraps I found after I drained the oil and cleaned the pump screen. I have no idea where they're from. All were plastic, slightly flexible.
Does the cam chain tensioner have a plastic coating?
IMG_3871.jpg
IMG_3870.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to the posters and Wiki for clear instructions on repairs.
A few notes:
I could remove the font engine cover without removing the fan, but it was a PIA. It's easier for to re-assemble with it with the fan removed.
While you have the radiator off, you might as well do a coolant flush afterwards.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The rookie mistakes continue. After correcting my first valve adjustment, I rode the bike. Today, much more valve noise. I open the cover after work to find a tapper adjust screw missing from an intake valve.
Where could it have gone? Would it wind up in the oil sump area? I don't need to tear down the engine, do I?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts