Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at some Youtube videos. Most of the adventure bikes using soft saddle bags mount them high to avoid the mufflers, sometimes over a duffel.
. On the seat, these are close to the mufflers. But over the trunk or over a duffle, they clear the mufflers.
These are actually for the GL650. And are 40 liters each. I could use just one on the back of the sissy bar with or without the duffle.

I am guessing this 60 liter duffel is all I need for travel, except for a long trip including camping. I would put the sissy bar pillion seat on from the 500 as a back stop.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I use canoeing style roll top waterproof bags of varying sizes (I am a life long canoe camper). They open at one end usually, so they are filled/emptied a little less convenently. You have to take everything out to get at what is in the bottom. I usually just strap one across the seat above the "saddle bags" (makes a rudimentry backrest). Always found them satisfactory and completely water proof. Available in solid colors or sometimes clear vinyl.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I was looking at something like this, anyone have any experience with these?

60LDryBag.JPG

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at something like this, anyone have any experience with these?
Mine came from here, Qulaity is excellent:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use canoeing style roll top waterproof bags of varying sizes (I am a life long canoe camper). They open at one end usually, so they are filled/emptied a little less convenently.
I have corrugated plastic campaign signs, very light (I've done this will luggage to Asia to pack pottery in.) I will make a box to go in the saddle bags to keep their shape. Make it easier to get stuff. The inserts can fold flat for storage. I also pack stuff inside the saddle bag with seperate organized bags.
The saddle bags have webbing and loops for easy tie down. They have velcro straps to hold them together. Reflectors on the back of the saddle bags and duffle. A little more thought put into them for motorcycles than the canoe packs that inspired them.

The openings are large, especially on the duffle. And the square bottoms make it easier to get stuff.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found that my saddle bags can be shortened to hang on the pillion without touching the mufflers. I plan on putting the OEM hangers on and moving the turn signals back so the bags can sit farther back.

I am really happy with the bags. They are adjustable. I was interested in them and when Jessie came through and I saw his black bags on his CX I decided to buy a set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts