114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks Gary, much appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So....stuff happened.

Y'all know what I'm referring to... which caused the bike project to get "delayed". However, I'm back on to it. I had ordered a few parts prior to the worldwide shutdown, so they took awhile to get to Texas.

But right now I've got somewhat of a plan.

Here is a start....

As you can see, I'm going to be upgrading the suspension first now that the bike is road legal and runs acceptably. The forks in question is from a 2013 Honda CBR600RR, very similar to Mike's "CX500rr" (shout out for inspiration). Picked mainly for ease of installation and that they aren't shiny gold.

I plan on going with a minimalist vibe, which means downsizing the instrument cluster to a small speedo. I'm planning on ditching the tach and temp gauge. I'll replace the temp gauge with a idiot light (red led). This is all subject to change, especially when I get the mock up done.

I've picked up the M.Unit blue and associated parts as well. A couple of pics, but you can check out the google machine for more details.

The hardest part to procure was a decent tank. The one on the Custom was in pretty rough shape on the outside (dents mainly) but pristine on the inside once I cleaned and lined the tank. I may use it on a subsequent build.

And finally, the parts that took almost 3 months to get....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
And here is the shot with the hubs....

I'll be adding a rear disc brake (Brembo from a ducati), still sitting on my bench.

Also part of the plan, is picking up new carbs and ignition (Murray and Ray, expect some questions soon) as well as tires, and lights. Planning on going all LED here. This will be later on as well, since it is mostly a visual aspect.

This should be enough for now.... I'm taking it slow because it is still above 100 most evenings here in Texas... but I have the parts and just need to put it together.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Looks like you are amassing a nice stash of parts to complete your project!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Looks like you are amassing a nice stash of parts to complete your project!
Yep, it is a slow process right now though.
I'm hoping that it turns out as good as I imagine. :)

Reactions: almostordinary

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thinking of getting the 3.5x19 up front. while running an 18" in the rear. Thoughts? Going with r1 USD forks, I really like the 3.5x19 comstar, which is why Im leaning this direction.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
That is a reliable combo, I wanted a lower stance overall with a more common tire selection.

Which is why I went with the cbr front end, because it was Honda reliability and it came in black. With nicer brakes/adjustments.

Here is a pic of the rear wheel.

I also found it hard to get a nice set of Comstars. It seems that 40 years does a number on wheels.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have 3 sets of mint comstars, just been a nightmare to get fabrication for them to mate up to GSXR forks, so going with a laced front and a "moon disc" rear. Should come out pretty nice for the buddy I'm building it for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
when you say "moon disc" you mean a totally solid wheel? specifically the inner part (where the spokes are)?

Sounds intereresting....How does that work? any pics?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Something like this.

It's literally a pizza pan on both sides with a hole cut in the center and fastened together.
I have 6 sitting in my garage from 18"-20" so when I'm done, I'm opening up a pizza shop.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
google is my friend.....

Here is a link to a set.....
Moon disc wheel set

And a quick pic....

I think that would turn out pretty cool.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
It's literally a pizza pan on both sides with a hole cut in the center and fastened together.
I have 6 sitting in my garage from 18"-20" so when I'm done, I'm opening up a pizza shop.

Lol. or maybe use them as woks and open an Asian restaurant. I definitely like the look. It isn't overdone yet.

Reactions: almostordinary

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Any progress lately Robotdog? We've been waiting with baited breath...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hey Fresh,
This has been a very hard year or so. The progress came to a standstill as other priorities took over.

However, I have just started back on the bike. I've just put in the new races and the bearing on the stem.

Here are a couple of pics.

The next step is to clean up the forks and mount the wheel. Then it will sit back on the ground on his own two feet, so to speak.

I still need to get some new rotors and pads installed and then work the controls into place.

I'll have some new pics over the coming weeks.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,393 Posts
With that shallow offset, you'll need to trim the steering stops to have any useful steering range. Then, you'll need to adjust for interference at the full tank.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hey Randall, thanks for the assist.
It is part of the plan, but a ways down the list. TBH, not sure if I'm staying with this bottom clamp/stem. May upgrade to Cognito, but I want to go with something a bit more low buck for now.

As for the tank.... the existing one will not be staying. If you look closely, you might notice some slight imperfections. ;-)

Anyways, I have a non-Custom tank that will go on. It is in great condition. And since there will need to be some modifications to fit it, I might move it back some, which affects the overall steering range and all that, like you mentioned.

Still a bit down the road, but some things I'm collecting parts for. ;-)

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,393 Posts
I have the same problem with the CR125 forks on a GL500 project I hope to get back to. Without cutting the stops, I only have 5 or 10 degrees to each side.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Cool wrt the 125 forks. Does that require heavier springs or other internal mods?

I havent heard of going with those before.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Don't know yet if I'll need to re-spring. This is a dual sport conversion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Quick update.

the front wheel is on and the clipons have been installed. These are the factory CBR bars and original aftermarket levers.

Here is an over the handlebar shot....looks like you are going to fall of a cliff compared to the original.

Major goal 2 is complete (installing the front end) and it still rolls. I'll take some more shots out in the sunlight when it stops raining.
As you can see there is a mix and match of the original and newer controls.

Still need to order some rotors, new SS brake lines and a reservoir.
Need to replace the levers on both brake and clutch (black) and make new cables
After that I can then work on integrating the wiring. I"m going to keep the CBR controls because they are simpler and modern. I'm not a big fan of the cafe racer buttons, mainly because they don't have a right side kill switch (rocker style)

Reactions: CXPHREAK
41 - 60 of 60 Posts