Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sold my 10 kidneys, left my kids starving for the summer and got a pair of Murray's carbs:) Woot Woot!!!

And smth not to be very happy about... I'm wrapping my exhausts in red tape but someone is colorblind and sent me an orange one instead... Not worth sending it back to China, but if my future Grom will be orange then it's not a total waste.
Also in the pic you see my fenders bolted on for good and me b!t&h that will never complain about my toys:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Installing carbs. On flat surface with fine grit I sanded intakes to get rid of sharp edges and to check for any distortion during welding

Grinded and sanded weld seams and the rest of intakes, sprayed some satin clearcoat, bolted on the engine. Once I had that done then I could figure it out how high can I raise my breather filter. It fits and hides right in between the intakes with some space for wiring and coolant hose to up:

When bolted carbs I had to twist both of them a wee bit inwards just for the throttle cable to clear the frame. The less bend in a cable the smoother and longer it's operation:

I love how intakes are engineered with carbs to fit the bike. Everything fits like a glove with even gaps around. And those pod filter ends looks like a pair of steel smth hanging down the seat LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Been a while, but I did lots of work on Bubbles, lots of updates now:)
Murray's carbs came with throttle cable that doesn't suit me on the handlebar side:

So cut angled piece off (yes, I have steady hands:) and put my own one in instead:

Had to grind down ~3mm of throttle stopper and no I have full range- when throttle is full open, carbs are full open as well:

Got my LED headlight, love it's daylight dimmed light:)

Before I put in on, I mounted my turn signals on it, to match the lines of my handlebars looking from the front...

...as well as lookin from above:

Painted inside part, and as I didn't like my brackets I welded my own ones from bicycle chain:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Got my red fiberglass exhaust tape yet it is still not solid red... I'm aware that it's dyed, I just hope that it'll go darker with the heat like white one does, rather than dye fades due to heat and turns pink... lol

Tail lights mounted:

Regulator under me arse:

And the stuff I fear the most... wiring... lol

I think I got this:) Doing one thing at the time to make sure I don't leave loose ends, labeling wires not to get lost. From my racing drones hobby I learned not to trust connectors so I solder everything I can. Like key ignition and starter button- if I have to replace one or the other I'll just cut wires and re-solder. less connectors equals less potential of failure and less wiring mess. Even after crimping wire onto connector (that is necessary to have) I still solder after and isolating with heatshrink.

Motogadget M unit inside handlebar:

Did not want to cluster my gauge are too much so I put my voltage meter on my headlight. As I have Lipo battery I want to see my voltage all the time:

My GPS speedo and coolant temperature gauge, installed and tested. +5 C is the actual temperature in my workshop before it went down around 0:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Some detailing:)

Got red oil pen for tire marking, started doodling tire treads:

Modified petcock to suite the looks of Bubbles:

R1 shock was yellow, I want it red. I don't have a spring compression tool so DIYing McGyver style with zip ties. Some of you would lynch me for this dangerous hack and that's ok, I deserve it, I just didn't want to spent extra money and wanted done there and now...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks brother! If I can sell my imagination a buck per bucket I'd be filthy rich:)

Back to work. Welded my battery box to go underneath the motor. Front of it slides in motor's "U" stick out (dunno what was there) and back of it bolts on where kickstand mount was. Both mounting points are through rubber.

I made it wider so my starter solenoid can fit in it as well behind the battery. And my exhaust became a bit too close to the battery box. I don't want smoke and heat passing by it so I took out muffler's glass packs and welded pipes for deflecting:

So all the mods are done now, here's what she looks like:) I have left to finish wiring Motogadget M-unit Blue, put all the liquids and button up few little bits and she'll be ready to fire up.
...oh, and I have to get my motorcycle license as well...:p

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wow Robo! You've made major progress and i have to say many custom touches i've never seen before, very original design. You will get a lot of head turns when out on the road for sure. (y)

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
I made it wider so my starter solenoid can fit in it as well behind the battery. And my exhaust became a bit too close to the battery box. I don't want smoke and heat passing by it so I took out muffler's glass packs and welded pipes for deflecting:
But you're OK with heat and smoke passing by your ankles while sitting at a stoplight? Exhaust is usually discharged behind a vehicle for a reason.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Wow Robo! You've made major progress and i have to say many custom touches i've never seen before, very original design. You will get a lot of head turns when out on the road for sure. (y)
Cheers brother!
But you're OK with heat and smoke passing by your ankles while sitting at a stoplight? Exhaust is usually discharged behind a vehicle for a reason.
I won't be sitting there forever:) My exhaust will be loud, will sound even louder coz it's not exiting behind me, I'll smell smoke, I'll feel rising heat for them 2mins while waiting for green lights and I'm OK with all of this. I prioritize the looks over convenience and comfort all the time:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Since I rebuilt my forks I still had air leak, from 10psi to completely out in 3-4 days. I didn't check valve and hose connecting 2 forks but it doesn't matter, I don't like that hose and it was gonna go anyway. With my lowered front end I could bottom out my forks if I jump on harder when they were out of air. So I got these adjustable fork caps, and they work just fine with adjuster fully screwed in. It stiffened up my forks and raised my front a bit, yet not enough for me to worry about the stance.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Cheers brother!

I won't be sitting there forever:) My exhaust will be loud, will sound even louder coz it's not exiting behind me, I'll smell smoke, I'll feel rising heat for them 2mins while waiting for green lights and I'm OK with all of this. I prioritize the looks over convenience and comfort all the time:)
To each their own. I would never want it. BUT I love watching you guys making what you want. If we all wanted the same thing life would be pretty boring. Enjoy the build and hopefully you will be able to enjoy riding it too.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts