Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You will be surprised at the amount of sludge that builds up but doesn’t come out the drain. Thumper gives you good advice. The motor I just put in my bike had only 6000 miles on it and it even had sludge build up. I’ve been told that sludge can develop from a motor sitting for extended periods of time with oil in it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cheers lads, I'll open up first and then we'll see.
Fill your motor with cheap supermarket oil.

Run for a short while, go for a ride if you can.

Then dump the oil and put something decent in.
I was kinda leaning towards that option...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You’ll most likely be fine doing that but it is so easy to remove the front cover in the current state of disassembly you’re in. You could properly clean the oil pick up screen along with any sludge in there.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Removing the front cover might be good enough and can be done without removing the engine.
It just seems to me you might as well pull the engine and give it a good going over.
I've only rebuilt 4 of these engines but removing it makes everything much easier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, my plans to ride this summer is busted as summer is over and my bubbles is still not running... Got super busy at work with some ridiculous hours and had no time or energy for my projects. Things are better atm so I'm nipping at it again. Here's what I did since last time I was here:

My radiator fan with a bit of trimming fit right in a radiator slot so all was needed is JB Weld and it goes nowhere. Sprayed my radiator as well. With the fan being tight to the radiator I got ~6mm gap between fan's motor and cut off original fan's shaft, perfect!

After all was done I realized that my temperature gauge sensor doesn't fit anywhere I had to solder it and then respray part radiator again:

Washed my tank for painting, sanded, sprayed satin black, red on top. With fine sandpaper and scrub pads weathered it, got my logo with a sharpie on and sprayed satin clearcoat on. I'm aiming here for scruffy-patina-rat-rod'ish look here. Color scheme is flat red with flat black:)

Rebuilt front forks, messy business...

Yamaha R1 shock swap, needed few spacers there or there.

Painted my wheels. Oh boy, just cleaning of grease, sanding and taping took forever and a half...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Welding my seat frame part. Got some sheet metal for extra support and my rectifier will fit under it.

Cut some pipes for exhaust and then realized that 2 cylinders are not symmetrical so one side was a bit too short and \i had to add a wee bit:)

Engine is out for Rae San ignition swap, she's naked

Gaskets are getting destroyed nearly every time you open old things so I got some gasket material and cutting out my own:

While engine was out I changed oil filter.There was no gunk and intestines was all clean and neat minus old oil leftovers. Once it's running I'll take the advise to get cheap oil, flush it after and then put in smth decent.
Also while engine was out I had a look at my starter. It didn't spin as free as wanted to and I knew straight on what's the issue. I rebuilt quite few ATV winches, same DC motor here. Sanded and painted the stator, cleaned contacts, oiled bushings. Brushes were still good.

While engine was out, finished body work as well on the frame. Didn't go overboard making it perfect as it has to look none perfect anyway. It was more to hide my yet to be perfected welding skillz... lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Back to my radiator part. The small sensor I mentioned earlier is for my digital temperature gauge that I'll have at my speedo to see my temperature. The sensor you see in the pic below is another one, it came with the relay that will activate my fan when temperature hits 80C. I thought I'll just put it in instead of original temp sensor but it doesn't fit there. Wrong size, diameter, thread. So here's my question- if I leave original temp sensor, will it make relay to switch on my fan? What I want to find out (if anybody knows) is at what temperature GL's sensor sends signal to the gauge. Me guessing that if it lights up temp light at the gauge, temperature is already critical

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Nice progress. That rear shock reservoir going to hit the swingarm on full compression? Looks to be really close.
It's close indeed but was jumping on it at full wack and it didn't hit

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
As far as I know shaft boots are no longer in production and I didn't want to get another old rubber. So before I got my engine in I did some research, kinda shot from the hip and found a boot that fits perfectly! Here's the part number for others who are struggling with this:)

It's a universal one and to fit on the engine side I had to cut smaller ring:

Also cut one ring on the shaft side and test fit as well:

This boot is soft and flexible, with little effort it stretches on both sides easily and have a snug fit in the flanges on both sides. No need for any ties or clamps. It was smth like $40 CAD at Lordco and I believe there are some cheaper options but for the ease of fit and less headache of trial and error- worth it:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When the engine was in, I put on little breather filter:

Got some color on the tags:

JBWelded coil on plugs fixtures (if there's no such word then I just invented one) and painted my valve covers. They were a bitt too shiny so I scrubbed the surface with kitchen scrubber, brushed around some charcoal dirt and then put satin clearcoat on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here's me sitting on her:)

Pretty much that's the look minus LED headlights. Few more debates with myself going on...
1. Will I be able to put my little lipo battery under the tank. I'm already squeezing all my wiring under the tank so that sounds a bit too optimistic...
2. Where to put my number plates. I'm leaning towards fabricating a bracket to mount it on the left side of my rear wheel, a wee bit above rear drum brake...
3. Will I make fenders or not. I don't want any at all but no matter who I ask, everyone says I have to have them legally and if a cop sees me without them then there's a guarantee I'll be pulled over. I saw few custom bikes buzzin around my town without fenders or mirrors, thinking will I get away as well lol

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot my missing exhaust that's missing in the picture. Waiting for postman to get my fiberglass wrap for it so I can mount it for good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Me thinking out loud here- can rear drum brake lever be pointing down instead of up? Mechanically it'd be same function as that oval thingy inside that pushes brake shoes outwards is symmetrical and does the same job whether you push or pull the lever. Obviously if it would have same movement without touching swing arm or anything else?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Damn, finally ordered Murray's Mikuni carbs... As I'm not married anymore I won't be murdered for this lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
Surprised no one has crucified you for the breather filter yet. I guess you might get a bunch of oil puking out of that unless the GL's are different than the CX's. I'm currently trying to decide what to do with mine. Apparently the hose has to stay on and remain high. Also, did you open the engine at all? Might be a good idea to look at the cam chain tensioner blades etc. Also make sure you have perfect gas going into the MIKS' I've had problems from day one with mine for that. Apparently they are quite finicky.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Surprised no one has crucified you for the breather filter yet. I guess you might get a bunch of oil puking out of that unless the GL's are different than the CX's. I'm currently trying to decide what to do with mine. Apparently the hose has to stay on and remain high. Also, did you open the engine at all? Might be a good idea to look at the cam chain tensioner blades etc. Also make sure you have perfect gas going into the MIKS' I've had problems from day one with mine for that. Apparently they are quite finicky.
Thanks bro, appreciate the info. I'll extend that breather higher.
When I had my engine out I checked what I could without taking it too much apart. But I didn't check them blades though... I'll see if I can do that with engine in a bike. I was told it was running perfect before it was parked for few years and I believe that. When changing ignition, oil filter, looking inside, everything looks spot on. Not worn or lose, no gunk.
I'll be putting only best gas in her, I'll age it oak barrels if I have to :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Found a piece of metal, made my plates holder.

I don't want any fenders at all but legally I have to have them on so I'm making a little ones just so I can say that I have them:)
For the rear I used Honda CT70 fender as my fiberglass mold as it has the right width. I'm not making a negative mold (aka plug) as this is only one off fender, therefore I'm OK with extra sanding and bodywork.

For the front I'm using my rear tire as a mold:

Once I had front fender ready I made some brackets for the forks, epoxied the fender on them and later to reinforce and encase them I layed some kevlar and carbon fiber cloth:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts