Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well lads, time to get her naked...:))
Here's what she was like when I got her:

Nothing is good enough for me out of the box and I have to put my hands on everything. I'll chop her to bare minimum, upgrade all electrical stuff, make a reliable bobber for dry weekends to cruise around. I'm not new to DIY or mechanics and there's nothing I cannot build but my week spot is electrical stuff. I can "operate" a voltmeter for basic stuff but struggling in reading wiring schematics so I'll have some questions indeed. As it is my first bike I'll have even more questions...lol
I tend to do some research before asking but some of you know these models inside out already, are experienced, and your opinion for me is more valid than any other's. Feel free to send me somewhere to search for answers, point out my mistakes, or tell me that I'm full of kaka. I take criticism well without getting triggered, and with a smile on my face:)
Let's go!
I stripped her down already. Marked unplugged wires with tape to know what is from where.

Chopped the end and stuck on the seat to visualize what she's gonna look like'ish and to check riding position to make sure it's comfy enough:

Here's what I'll have on her: clip on handlebars, inner throttle, 2inch GPS speedo, small water temp gauge, electric fan upgrade, Rae-San ignition upgrade, Murray's coil on plug upgrade and some other bits and pieces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now my gazillion questions begins...
Obviously I'll change all liquids with filters, but is smth else that needs to be addressed for her to be safe? She was sitting for ~3 years outside in the elements, so:
1. Probably new tires? The ones are on look good and not worn but still...
2. Front forks had tiny bit of water inside and I didn't check whether they hold air yet, but should I get a seal kit and rebuild them while I'm at it? How to tell are they good or not?
3. Why double throttle cable? Second one does not pull but push, I don't understand the logic behind it and I'll have a single one. Once I have my handlers on then I'll know what length I need.

4. I'll have pod filters on and toss out that air box. Underneath air box was another box, looks like for draining water or smth. And there's a hose that goes into the engine, pointed with screwdriver. If it's meant to breathe for smth then I presume I shouldn't block it, so can I put a tiny like filter on the engine part?

5. Flasher relay unit is wAAAAy too big... I'll have my wiring done to minimum and everything has to fit under the tank, so is there a hidden gem on them, or any 12v unit will do the job?

6. Does front fender has some structural value to the forks? That thin metal doesn't look like it does but maybe there's smth to it... I'll toss fender away and thinking of grinding off those bumps for fender mounting. Yey or nay?

7. Gas tank cleaning research gives me rust clean stuff but I don't have rust in my tank much, I have some beige-baby-warm-diarrhea paint in there that looks like it was poured in to seal or smth. Tank doesn't leak but I don't like it. Is there a chemical to clean it or should I just leave it as it is for now?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I was going to mention that in a GL as opposed to a CX, the entire frame aft of the tank is disposable, but see you have already figured that out, but be careful of bending on the top tube stubs the seat if on, you might want to add braces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to mention that in a GL as opposed to a CX, the entire frame aft of the tank is disposable, but see you have already figured that out, but be careful of bending on the top tube stubs the seat if on, you might want to add braces.
Yeah man, it kinda looks like it's gonna need some extra support. I'll cut into them tubes, bent upwards a bit, weld it, and then I'll add some sheet metal triangles to the sides coz I'm planning to have ignition key on one side and start button on the other, right under my seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was too cold outside today so I cut some stuff in my kitchen. Made a plate from fiberglass plate for my all-in-one GPS speedo. I'll spray it black, just mocking to fit atm:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You cut fiberglass in the kitchen? You must be single! lol
Bro, you hitting on me? lol
Yeah, I live on my own and my girlfriend doesn't want to come over due to that virus. Unfortunately I don't have any workshop or garage or anything inside to work on my stuff, so under my deck it looks like it's a trailer park scrapyard and my kitchen is full of my Boogie Van, ATV and bike parts...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Bro, you hitting on me? lol
Yeah, I live on my own and my girlfriend doesn't want to come over due to that virus. Unfortunately I don't have any workshop or garage or anything inside to work on my stuff, so under my deck it looks like it's a trailer park scrapyard and my kitchen is full of my Boogie Van, ATV and bike parts...
Not sure I want to answer that. lol I've done some fiberglass work here and there and it is very itchy stuff. That said, I like to see people doing what they gotta do and making do with what they got! I saw this about a month ago at an ORV park.

·
Registered
479 Posts
A few of my boys that were riding there told me this guy with the bike on the car was by far the best rider out there.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Mr X2000 does your all in one GPS speedo have a temperature gauge? A temperature gauge is one of the most important gauges on a CX/GL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mr X2000 does your all in one GPS speedo have a temperature gauge? A temperature gauge is one of the most important gauges on a CX/GL.
It does not, but I got a plan for that:) On top of the radiator there's a 4in length hose that goes to the engine, looks like to a water pump or smth. I'll split it in half and in between will put an adapter into which I can screw in temp sensor for my gauge, this one- Motorcycle LCD Digital Thermometer Water Temp Meter Gauge For Yamaha Scooter | eBay. Screen will be on top right in front of my eyes, below my GPS gauge. On that water pump thingy at the back there's a sensor, I'm guessing it's temp sensor for original gauges. So as I don't need it anymore, I'll use that hole for 80C temp switch via relay to activate my electric fan. This one- Universal Electric Radiator Cooling Fan Relay Kit Thermostat Temperature Switch | eBay. And I got this fan on the way- Radiator Cooling Fan Oil Cooler Water Cooler Fan For Dirt Bike Motorcycle ATV | eBay.
This way I'll have not just automatically activated fan, but temp reading in front of my nose as well. Just to be safe on this matter:)
I say "I guess" coz I didn't do my homework on it yet what is what, I only took off radiator this evening. Couldn't take of the fan coz I didn't have M14 bolt lying around in my kitchen between knives and forks... oh, I forgot to check spoon section! lol

Speaking of the radiator/fan, I don't want to put on that metal shroud anymore. I believe without it there'll be better engine cooling as engine will be more open to wind. It kinda looked like with that shroud good portion of the front was covered. I understand how shrouds work, but I ain't gonna have a constantly running fan related to RPMs anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few of my boys that were riding there told me this guy with the bike on the car was by far the best rider out there.
I work with fiberglass since I was 7, well used to it:)
On the rider part- I love people like that, quite often I'm one of them, minus the riding in particular... I build and race racing drones and in one of the races a guy that won by miles had his propellers and most of the drone tied with zip ties.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my fan in the post today. Put it on the radiator- fits perfectly! Sits right where the shroud was, ~3mm to spare on the sides. And it's even thinner than the shroud, could be that I won't even have to cut fan's shaft, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hi,your project is coming along nicely . Do you want to sell your rear seat and that little cover on the back of it? As soon as this Covid 19 clears planning a trip to Sooke. Could swing while I'm over there . Cheers Gerard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,your project is coming along nicely . Do you want to sell your rear seat and that little cover on the back of it? As soon as this Covid 19 clears planning a trip to Sooke. Could swing while I'm over there . Cheers Gerard.
No brother, won't sell, but you can have everything I don't need for a beer and a chat🍻
I'm keeping all the bolts and nuts and you can have the rest. Rear passenger seat (I don't have main one), side fairing, rear taillight, plastic rear fender, fan looks in good condition (got it off yesterday) and whatever brackets I won't use. I think smth is broken at that rear cover, will look later. Shoot me PM when planning a trip, I'm in Campbell River.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After mocking my electric fan I realize that I still have to cut fan's shaft, it's just a bit too close. No leaks through the seal so I'm not replacing it. Cut the shaft leaving 3-4mm past the seal, put some nail varnish on the end to prevent rust. Took out RPM cable as won't need it, no leaks there either, all is good, no need to plug the hole. As a rule gasket was destroyed when taking cover off so I cut another one from gasket material.

Handlebars... I can handle it! lol
I chopped old handlebars for straight stubbies to use with clip on brackets. First I put below T and it looked a bit too low. Also it limited my steering max angle and sitting on the bike felt a bit uncomfortable for my back. I was kinda leaning forward too much for my liking. To put clips on top of T I had to raise forks by 20mm what lowered my front a bit. Now I like it! I'm sitting comfortably, leaning forward a bit but not too much. Each handlebar is close to 20deg and when I turn to max I still have some space between my wrist and the tank. I can still operate throttle at full turn. I was gonna lower my front and inch'ish anyway so there's a win as well:)

Here's what she's gonna look like'ish, only more red:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Few more questions...
1. Is air in front forks just for raising the front or it's a part of shock absorbing?
My forks doesn't hold air and I'm really not in the mood taking them apart and rebuilding them. I'm not gonna be raising my bike up and thinking of riding as it is without pumping air in them, but if air is crucial to suspension then I suppose I have to rebuild my forks...
2. How to wash engine from old oil? Just fill with engine cleaner and crank it for a bit?
I drained my liquids and oils was as black as tar. I'm annoyed with people who neglect machinery.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Answers to both are there are no shortcuts.
Yes, rebuild the forks if they don't hold air, seals are leaking.
Drop engine and remove front and back covers to get in there and remove all the sludge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Answers to both are there are no shortcuts.
Yes, rebuild the forks if they don't hold air, seals are leaking.
Drop engine and remove front and back covers to get in there and remove all the sludge.
There's no sludge in my engine. When I drained oil it wasn't clumpy, viscosity was good and no white crap when water gets in to, nothing. All there was is long past due oil change. I'd fill with fresh oil and it would be fine but I just don't want those last drops of old oil remaining. All it needs is quick rinse, I just don't don't know what people are using:) Once I get my oil filter in the post I'll open up and I'll see what's next.
K, thanks bro, I'll go do some research how to rebuild forks and where to get seal kit(y)
...dammit, I thought I'll button up her quickly rat-bike style and go riding, but looks like it's not happening right this very now. Every time I touch smth I open a can of worms... lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts