Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad to report we've lost another member.

Hamilton {Ralph} wasn't a prolific poster here but some of you may still remember him.

Ralph was an Adelaide member and a top bloke. He lost his battle with lymphatic cancer this morning at the age of 83.

I appreciate the discs you drilled for me and will always treasure the main bearing press you made me, but not as much as I treasured your friendship. You'll be missed mate. A top bloke .... and a clever one.

I will finish the CX in my shed that you gave me and will finish it in the vision you had for it.

Rest in peace mate.

·
Super Moderator
23,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou Nolimitz.

Ralph had a couple of sons, though they live interstate.

His wife Barb is a lovely woman. Incidentally, both Ralph and Barb were qualified mechanics with Ralph having run his own workshop for many years.

Both were always into bikes and Barb remains a rider and senior member of the Australian womens motorcycle club. Barb has had many bikes a few of which were 400/4, CB72 and her current Hyosung 250 cruiser. Ralph has had a few CXs through his hands and has rebuilds on a 500 euro and Oz market shadow under his belt. The bike in my shed was a project started by Ralph I am yet to continue which unfortunately became to heavy for him to handle, even to wheel about some time back. It still needs much work, but Ralph made a very nice instrument binnacle for it and modified the front engine cover to accept the sender for an oil pressure gauge straight from the top of the main oil gallery leaving the warning light sender in place. He also made my CX engine fitter. As I said, a clever bugger and good friend. I'll add a few photos of his work here when I've taken them.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I don't recall his presence here, but it's obvious he was a worthy gent. Sad.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,292 Posts
He may not have been prolific here but when he posted he was worth listening to. I'll think of him whenever I see the "Hamilton tool" that I made per his instructions sitting in my toolbox.

·
Registered
505 Posts
That is really sad news Mark,it was only recently that Ralph advised us of his cancer via the Oz Forum.I only met Ralph once in person but we had many e-mail discussions-We have lost yet another old school mechanic and a great guy to boot.RIP Ralph.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The hardest part of living is those we lose along the way. Condolences to his family and those members who new him. RIP Hamilton.

·
Super Moderator
23,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember meeting Ralph for the first time some years back prior to a toy run where the members going on the run met up. Ralph was not able to ride along even then but he wanted to meet some of the fellers.

Thanks for your comments fellers. I think it would mean something to Ralph and Barb that he was remembered .... and respected.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Sad news, Mark......Ralph and I had a PM conversation going not long ago on the Oz forum. He didn't mention that he thought his passing was this close. I knew he had cancer.

Ralph was exceptional, as a mechanic, advisor on things mechanical and just a great guy to know. I never met him in person but value the long-distance interactions we had.

A sad day, indeed.

RIP, Ralph.

Victor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts