Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cx500 custom, cdi model. Problem occurs on cold engine and obviously on right cylinder only. The left cylinder starts firing alone, then after a while the right one fires once, twice than there is some kind of backfire into the right carburetor. You can see the carb insulator tube been blown up then. This happens for a while before the right cylinder starts running better. Trying to ride works but the right cylinder often fires very odd, sliding downhill with idle gas causes backfire as well. After 2 km the problem has gone, the bike runs very well.

When I restored my bike I took both heads off, removed valves and their seals, cleaned checked the valve seats and all this stuff. New generator, cam chain, water pump seal.
Compression is great on both sides. Gave it new carb insulators, tested new ignition coils, various spark plugs, plug connectors, cdi. Nothing worked. After now 2.000km I yesterday had problem with strange noise which requires taking the engine apart. But I had another engine purchased a few months ago, I took this one in, without any modifications and great hope it would run. It runs, but the same problem on right cylinder. Now I’m stuck.

What do you think?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally found the reason for this backfiring: the pipe clamps from carb to insulators were fixed a bit to loose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts