Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all!

Having issues with my right side cylinder not firing during idle. If I blip the throttle, the right side will fire. The only seems to be happening while it's cold though. When it's warm, it fires just fine.

I have a replacement CDI on the way to try swapping that to see if that's part of the issue.

Also reading elsewhere that it could be a clogged idle jet. To test this, I've tried removing the screw from the sync port on the right side (where you'd tie in a sync gauge kit) and sprayed a tiny bit of carb cleaner (yes, a flammable version), but as soon as I open that screw hold, the bike pretty much dies out. Presumably from it getting too much air.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm confused, so answering a few questions might help
1. when it's warm and idling properly, what rpm does it idle at?
2. Is the RH cyl not firing at all when cold or just not firing consistently? It's strange that removing the idle sync screw would cause the engine to die if the RH cyl isn't firing at all.
3. do you have the choke on when this is happening?
4. are you running the factory airbox, filter, and jets or have you done a pod conversion?
5. when idling and still cold, have you pulled off the RH spark plug cap? If so, what happened?

My first guess would be to set the idle just a touch higher since that test is easy and free, but that's still a guess.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why don't you just spray starter fluid at the inlet near air filter. You can remove the filter media and get access.
For this test, you probably don't have to remove the filter media. I routinely spray starter directly into the air inlets without removing anything. It goes straight through the filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts