Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the engine out for a bunch of work. I've done a ton of checks and still can't figure out why the right cylinder isn't firing.

I've done the following:
  • New head gaskets (they were leaking coolant)
  • New G8 stator
  • lapped valves
  • new valve seals
  • Ultrasonic carb clean and rebuild
  • Valve adjustment
  • Timing chain tensioner adjustment
  • New NGK D8EA plugs gapped to .026"
  • Rebuilt the plug boots (w/ resistors)
  • tried swapping coils to opposite sides and the issue stays with the right cylinder
  • leak down test shows only 1% leak @100psi on both sides
What am I missing here?

Bike is running 90/120 jetting with stock airbox and 2-1 exhaust. Ran like that for years. Also has had Ignitech for a while.

I've been trying to start it at 2.5 turns out on the mixture screw and have gone from 2-3 turns without any improvement. Choke doesn't help either, it just kills the left cylinder eventually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I blasted all the carb passages with carb cleaner and 120psi of compressed air to make sure they're clear.
Floats are still at 15.5.
Throttles are synced.

The right cylinder still won't fire at idle.

I can get it to come on at about 1/4 -1/2 throttle but it still misses.

Spraying carb cleaner into the intake at idle do. When I pull the plug it's wet and grounding the plug to the cylinder shows bright blue spark.

It seems like something to do with the ignition timing of the right cylinder. Is it possible for one cylinder to be out of time?
Is there a way to test the Ignitech?
How does the Ignitech get timing info from the motor? Maybe I wired something wrong?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I went back to the carb for a third time after reading a response from Larry about a similar issue in another thread.

Turns out it was either the rubber plug (that apparently fell out and went into the full oil pan last time I was checking the float) or there was still debris in the idle jet passages. I left the idle jet tubes in place hoping the ultrasonic cleaning was enough and maybe it wasn't until this final clear out.

I blew carb cleaner and compressed air from all directions of the passages this time; the mixture screw, the air cutoff passages, the idle jet and secondary jet.

It worked! Bike runs great now. Just took it out for a 20min ride and no misses to speak of.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Do you have any pics of your ride? We all love to see pics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I went back to the carb for a third time after reading a response from Larry about a similar issue in another thread.

Turns out it was either the rubber plug (that apparently fell out and went into the full oil pan last time I was checking the float) or there was still debris in the idle jet passages. I left the idle jet tubes in place hoping the ultrasonic cleaning was enough and maybe it wasn't until this final clear out.

I blew carb cleaner and compressed air from all directions of the passages this time; the mixture screw, the air cutoff passages, the idle jet and secondary jet.

It worked! Bike runs great now. Just took it out for a 20min ride and no misses to speak of.
I think I've been having a pretty similar problem to you, was it just compressed air that you used to get everything out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts