Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 81 gl500 and a friend who has a 93 st1100 and we plan to ride to alaska and back next summer, any suggestions, advice or help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
840 Posts
There are some guys on adventure forums, etc who have a lot to say about this sort of thing. One guy in particular (If I can find it again, I'll send it along) road from Colorado to Prudhoe Bay and probably would have a great deal of info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some guys on adventure forums, etc who have a lot to say about this sort of thing. One guy in particular (If I can find it again, I'll send it along) road from Colorado to Prudhoe Bay and probably would have a great deal of info.

thanks any help will be appreciated I have only been riding for about 3 yrs and love it. had a fan go out this year and take the radiator with it. i bought a salvage bike last year so when i get back from my trip i plan on replacing the radiator. the fan is already done. I have put 50000 miles on it since i got it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am in Wasilla, Alaska. I have driven the Alaska Highway three times, never rode on it on a bike though. It can be done if you have strong sound equipment, better if you are with a group that may have a vehicle that can take care of any roadside emergency or even if you need a trailer. Best time is early and mid june.

I have not heard of anyone doing it on any CX, possibly quite a few GL's, Goldwings, Beamers, full dress HD bike and the big Yamaha touring bikes are best.

I knew of a fellow from England who had the exact same bike as my new one the 2009 Yamaha Start 1300 Tourer, he had no problems at all. he rode all across the lower 49 last year and then all the way to Wasilla, and then sold his Star 1300 to the same dealership I bought mine, I saw it there.

Some of the more recent type of bikes I have seen during the summer is the Yamaha FJR1300 and others like it, the sport touring bikes. I may buy an FJR1300 myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I couple of fellas I know rode sport bikes all the way to Anchorage a couple summers ago. The one guy is 6'8" so even at the best of times a sportbike is cramped but they really enjoyed the trip.

One thing to consider is tires, thats a lot of riding, and some roads are really poor. I dont know what tires your bike has but if they are an odd size it would be wise to perhaps check a few dealerships along the route prior to leaving to see if they have them in stock.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Several people on this forum have made the trip. I rode from SC. DaveF did it from GA, Gene McCall did it from TN. In our experiences, the roads were generally in good shape, although the AK Highway would have 10KM to 20Km sections being rebuilt. I'd estimate that 5 to 10% of the road is under construction at any one time. Those sections are a hard packed white powder and gravel. In dry times you may have a hard time seeing through the dust kicked up by big rigs. On rainy days (my experience) it was easily ride-able but the crud was like liquid concrete that would tend to clog my radiator and jam up under the fender.

Make sure you have good rain gear and are equipped for the days when the temps don't get over 50f. You will see both.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
As JerryB said earlier Don Seedsman & I made a trip to Alaska/Canada in 2008. We left Murfreesboro in early June and returned in late August. We spent 76 days on the road and covered 15,256 miles, used up 2 back tires, many gallons of fuel but not a drop of oil! Our ride was my 2000 ST1100 with a Hannigan hack. We pulled a camper trailer, I slept in the camper, Don had a tent. We camped out over 60 of those days, everywhere from RV campgrounds to the side of the road, with one camp about 4 miles north of the arctic circle. At the time of the trip I was 69 and Don was 70. I had originally planned on going with JerryB & maybe DaveF. A heart attack in 07 changed my plans, my ST acquired a sidecar and Don agreed to go as co-pilot. We shared driving/riding duties, swapping out every 50 miles. We took over 3,500 pictures, many of these can be seen on my PhotoBucket account. My PB account can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature. If you are serious about going you should acquire the latest Mile Post book. This is a detailed book, with maps & descriptions of all the highways in Alaska and northwest Canada. Since we were loaded (somewhere north of 1800lbs) fuel became a concern. The ST has a 7 1/2 gallon tank & I had a 7 gallon transfer tank mounted on the rear of my camper. We did not start keeping fuel in it until we were well up the Cassiar highway. It saved our bacon 4 times! We unhooked the trailer, turned it around and pumped into the ST. The first time we did this (on the Cassiar) had to be funny to watch. It was our first encounter with the black flies and the twin engine skitters! I was watching Don operate the little pump we had and suddenly he had a huge black head and it was buzzing. Before I could react I had my own black head! I will post a few pictures to give you an idea and you can look at the rest when you desire.

This was the day before departure and thats my friend Don. BTW Don is from Melbourne and on this trip he achieved a unique distinction! So far as we know he is one of the few or maybe the only person in the world to have ridden a motorcycle inside the circles at both ends of our mud ball, the arctic and antarctic circles!

We made a stop at Harley heaven and a friendly Harley rider took this picture for us!

We took our time (for the most part) and did a lot of picture taking and sight seeing on the way. This is Don & I at Mount Rushmore.

This was some of the early scenery along the Cassiar.

This was a typical camp site. I could pull in and be set up in less than 5 minutes. It took Don a little longer with his tent but he got really good at getting it up, especially in the rain!

This hill was actually much steeper than it appears. This is part of the Cassiar that they were working on. It was wall to wall mud, Don was driving and I could tell the ST was beginning to lose traction when I took this picture from inside the sidecar. Notice my handicapped plackard in the window. Don & I got in a big argument with a guy in Fairbanks over parking in a handicapped space!

If you have any questions about any of the pictures send me an email at [email protected]. Be sure to tell me what page it is on. As your trip gets closer your planning will grow by leaps & bounds!

Gene

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I have not heard of anyone doing it on any CX, possibly quite a few GL's, Goldwings, Beamers, full dress HD bike and the big Yamaha touring bikes are best.

Well, you have now. I did it solo on my standard '78 CX when she was 2 years old. There was a guy on the old CX list who did it on a scooter IIRC.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Well, you have now. I did it solo on my standard '78 CX when she was 2 years old. There was a guy on the old CX list who did it on a scooter IIRC.

JB did it on his Burghman scooter.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You live in the same city with one of our premier Alaska riders! JerryB (Jerry Brown) can be found on this board, usually bringing rain with him! He is currently claiming his hex is broken but I know better. I actually should not complain, when he took off for Alaska in 08, just before Don Seedsman from Oz and I headed out the same way, he drew most of the rain with him along his route. Some did slip by and made Don & I spend 2 nights at a camp early on in our trip but he took out the big storms! I have not yet thanked him for that, put that on my "Must Do" list. He traveled light and fast, he should be able to give you some good advice.

Gene

PS: I just realized you have a duplicate post in the Western Canada thread. Have you checked out the responses you received to that post? Maybe you should consider posting a reference to your other post, its hard on an old man to reply twice! Matter of fact JerryB responded to that post!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am now in Fairbanks, AK (central Alaska) and I plan on taking a crazy 10 day trip down to Vancouver and back (around 4.5-5k miles) just to knock down some milage this summer and spend 2-3 days in a city I have been told is super cool to visit. I havent seen the roads up here (its all ice the whole damn winter) but I have been told they're pretty nice. Make it up here and ride down to Vancouver with me. I'll be going solo sometime around late July/August.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.