Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my younger days my rule was simply "not shorts". But now at 72 I'm thinking I just might be mortal, so I wear a very visible jacket with the usual armored areas and pants that look like jeans but are kevlar lined with hip and knee pads. But they are rather too big and loose. So the title says it, what do others wear? Don't need to be water proof nor racing leather level, but good armored joints and slide protection. Zippered vents and perhaps a removable liner sound good. Opinions anyone?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check out
Klim K Fiffty 2 or K Fiffty 1
Revit Cargo pants
Ironworker cargo

I ride in one of these three jeans, the Klim is the most protective and looks most like regular jeans, however with with the armor in place can be the heaviest. I wear these when I'm traveling more than 100 miles. They look good and offer the most protection.

The Revit is the most comfortable and fit nicely. The protection is almost as good as the Kilim, but it is missing the hip armor (can add later). I wear these for when riding around town or less then 100 miles and don't need to get off the bike much. I love the way these look and feel, but I'm not a big fan of the big pockets on the front. Revit it makes quality gear and I have multiple jackets from them.

I love the fit of the Ironworker, it was very inexpensive $99 and looks good. I wear this when I want to just jump on a bike and go to the store or what ever. I changed out the armor in the knees with the armor from Revit (Seesoft, i think) because it was too thick and uncomfortable. Best value so far and would recommend, at least for a "back up" pair. The black ones are dark and look like jeans.
Note: Revzilla may be discontinuing these soon, they are down to $79 now. I say buy these and upgrade the armor.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The iron workers were the first ones I tried a couple years ago but I returned them, didn't cover enough area with kevlar for my taste. What I have now is from Scorpion Sports (revilla I think). Jeans that seem pretty good, but were big on me then and I've taken off 35 lbs or so and now I can use them as over pants. I don't care about the jeans look anymore and want a better fit and ventilation zippers and safety upgrade.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I actually wear a pair of HWK mesh overpants. I chose that over riding pants as I ride to and from work, and I don't want to have to keep changing out of riding paints into a pair of business casual pants. This way, I just put them on over my pants, and when I get to work, I just shed them, and I'm ready to work. It looks like Amazon is out of stock right now, but these are the pair I have: https://www.amazon.com/HWK-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Overpants-Waist38-40/dp/B07KFMRPRL

Dan

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
What I have now is from Scorpion Sports (revilla I think).
Scorpion is good gear. I've been wearing Scorpion helmets since I got back into riding a decade ago, and my mesh jacket is Scorpion.
I swore I would never buy Fieldsheer again, but the clearance price on my mesh overpants was too good to pass up. I actually love everything about these pants, except... the zippers. Fieldsheer zippers have become my nemesis. If they would spend the extra $2 per garment to use decent zippers, they'd have a great product.

Randall

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I only have 1 pair, some Rok jeans with Kevlar and armor. I bought them big so I can pull them on over my work clothes, my commute (before all this COVID stuff) started at 6am and most mornings from sept to nov were cool enough that an extra layer was appreciated. They are kind of hot in summer though so I think I’m going to look into getting something else. Anybody know if there are jeans that are better for warm weather than others?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Mesh overpants are pretty comfortable in the heat.

Randall

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why is all riding gear in Black?
That totally baffles me.

Mesh overpants are pretty comfortable in the heat.
Respectfully disagree.

Last summer I rode across the country via Texas and Oklahoma. I used TourMaster mesh pants, black. I thought I would die. The sun and heat got to be a safety issue.

I had off-white "casual" pants that were safer, even without armor. I don't think I'm being too whoos-ly about it -- I was a smokejumper and did plenty of direct fireline in summer conditions. (Okay, heat tolerance goes down with exposure.) And I live close to the sun (7600 ft) in New Mexico. But baking in the sun behind a big fairing (Kawa XII) was sure taking it out of me -- droning on I-40.

So yeah, I had to put up with folks at the campground calling me Mr Clean; but staving off the heat stress was definitely the safer way to travel, I my opinion.

We need some armored gear that doesn't soak up the southern sun, dammit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hear ya on the heat and riding gear. Yesterday I rode across the eastern half of Texas, the cooler part, and I rode wearing khaki colored pants and a white mesh jacket. In fact, it was the Revit pants I mentioned earlier. They did a good job of not overheating my lower half, but the armor did cause some annoyance, after six or seven hours.

And yes, it was brutally hot... neccisitating more frequent stops.

I'll save the black pants for shorter trips.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I am looking for pants too. I've used strap on leg protectors when it is cool out. I am thinking mail order is too difficult to fit. Is the Dennis Kirk store a good place to visit?

Motocross, track and adventure clothing seems to avoid black. I couldn't find a HJC HJ-17 helmet in gray, so I went with white. I have a johnny (or is that Joe? My dyslexia messes me up with either/or choices) Rocket yellow mesh vest to were over my black armored mesh vest.
I bought a Camelbak water system for hot riding and riding during the pandemic.

When I took the Motorcycle safety course, every student had black helmets. The instructors had light colored helmets.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My Joe Rocket Jacket will fit under my roomie leather jacket for cold weather. Easy enough to take the leather off if it gets warm.

Anybody wear mesh pants with rain pants or as I might do, under baggy Dickies in winter? Which are better: Heated Gloves or grips?

I went with these. Joe Rocket, A rare label that has larger waists and shorter legs. AND NOT BLACK!

PHOENIX ION PANT Dynax® Reinforced Mesh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts