Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't ridden a motorcycle in decades. The last one was a '80 Yamaha 650 Special.

I just test rode a nice looking clean 79 CX 500 w Vetter fairing. 12k miles. Stock except for fairing. Nice engine sound. Somewhat rough road.

I really noticed a lot of vibration in the handlebars. Is this common? I'm used to riding all sorts of bicycles in all sorts of places -- mtbikes, crossbikes, etc. ... I was surprised at the bar feel of this moto. I'm guessing that maybe the bars were quiet at more like 20mph. Maybe it was mostly the road. I did try a stretch of smooth new asphalt. I forget what it was like there. I just came away thinking: Hmmm, that was a lot of vibration coming into the bars...

I also noticed a fair bit of separation and independent movement of the front and rear of the bike. A bit like both sides were doing their own thing. Maybe with a bit of slop. I suppose play on an old bike is inevitable.

Tires aren't much used but they are much sitting in garage. Pretty cracked. Owner suggested replacing. Maybe old tires are harsh? Hard and so also a bit squirrelly?

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Those tyres are likely to kill you.

I'd consider that an issue.

It certainly won't help[ with the ridability.

These bikes usually don't vibrate very much.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Vibration will depend on your reference point....and probablly the bikes age/state of tune.
My bike seems to vibrate enough to effect the rear view mirrors at some speeds...(e.g. is that a mini or a truck behind me.??...) but never intrusive enough to make the ride "un-enjoyable"

Having said that I have been told by (Aussie) forum members that they feel that 100km is where they find the bike tiring cause of "vibration."...:unsure:...but maybe thats them gettin older...;) (no not referring to CXPHREAK)

Edit: New handle bar grips will help lessen any tingle thru the 'bars especially if the bike still has the original 40year old ones...)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vibration will depend on your reference point....and probablly the bikes age/state of tune.
My bike seems to vibrate enough to effect the rear view mirrors at some speeds...(e.g. is that a mini or a truck behind me.??...) but never intrusive enough to make the ride "un-enjoyable"

Having said that I have been told by (Aussie) forum members that they feel that 100km is where they find the bike tiring cause of "vibration."...:unsure:...but maybe thats them gettin older...;) (no not referring to CXPHREAK)

Edit: New handle bar grips will help lessen any tingle thru the 'bars especially if the bike still has the original 40year old ones...)
Hello Bahn88,
I find my 83 gl650 to vibrate quite a bit. My reference point is that my other bike is an 85 Yamaha Maxim X xj700. It has an inline 4 and is liquid cooled and shaft driven. The bike has very little vibration. Certainly far less than the Silverwing.
When you say the vibration may be caused to rde-tuning, are you talking about carbs and timing possibly? I'm sure having the carbs synced could only lessen vibration. I was told by an old-timer to fill the handle bars with #7 buckshot and it would help eliminate vibration through the handlebars.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Hello Bahn88,
I find my 83 gl650 to vibrate quite a bit. My reference point is that my other bike is an 85 Yamaha Maxim X xj700. It has an inline 4 and is liquid cooled and shaft driven. The bike has very little vibration. Certainly far less than the Silverwing.
When you say the vibration may be caused to rde-tuning, are you talking about carbs and timing possibly? I'm sure having the carbs synced could only lessen vibration. I was told by an old-timer to fill the handle bars with #7 buckshot and it would help eliminate vibration through the handlebars.
Hello!
Imho
Carb balance will be a factor.as well as general tune...timing and tappets to an extent...i think a twin will always tingle more than an inline 4
The cx std stock bars did have weights...so oldtimer might be right.....also all the frame bolt torques shoukd be checked.....
I have read that interstate owners get vibration thru non Oem mirrors..but I say that only via recollection of what ive read...the interstate mirror reference

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I use a throttle lock (cruise control?) to take 20-30 seconds to relax my right hand, which is affected more due to gripping the twist grip. Makes a big difference for me, makes long rides more enjoyable.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I agree with Bahn, 50mph is a lot more confortable than 60.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,070 Posts
The Grub actually gets smoother with more speed. At 90mph+ (which doesn't happen all that often) it's like glass.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
The double boxer design of a 4 cylinder GoldWing engine is among the smoothest (I've read that sales people were taught to stand a coin on edge on them and rev the engine to demonstrate how smooth). I'd had GoldWings for quite a while before got my GL500 and I can tell you that it used to take me a while to get used to the difference in vibration and mechanical noise when I changed from the GoldWing's low revving double boxer with belt driven valves at ankle level to the SilverWing's high revving V twin with pushrod operated valves at knee level in the fall and back again in spring.

20 years on I'm pretty used to those differences and I mostly notice the difference in seat height...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
So what made you go from GW to GL?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
The GoldWing is my summer vehicle and the SilverWing was what I drove in winter (since replaced by the CX650E that became Eccles).

My first GoldWing ('77 GL1000) was bought in '91 to replace the bike part of the Dnepr sidecar outfit I drove for a couple of winters until I couldn't get the parts to keep it running (long story and long before the Internet). I had been thinking in the first half of the winter of '94/'95 that 1) it was really too heavy to push out of snowbanks and 2) it rally had too much power for a winter machine (too easy to get the back wheel spinning when driving in snow) and had decided the next one should be smaller and lighter.
In Feb '95 a car turned left across my path and wrote it off. I bought the wreck from the insurance company because I wanted some of the parts for the next winter machine and when I got it home I found that the engine was good.
While I was home recovering from the accident (broken wrist) someone put me in touch with a fellow who had an '83 'Wing with a seized engine. I went to see him hoping he would buy my engine but after we chatted for a while we both agreed it would be better if I bought the bike from him.
Even after sitting outside for 6 years before he bought it it was too nice to become a winter beater (not to mention that I wanted the next winter machine to be smaller & lighter) so it was destined to become my next summer machine. But it was too big & heavy while I was recovering from a broken wrist and I had the '78 GS400 to ride in the summer so getting something ready to drive the next winter was a higher priority.

A friend had given me his '83 GS400 for a parts bike for my '78 but aside from the missing parts (front wheel, headlight, seat and tank) it was i decent shape and ran so I went to Cycle Salvage and got what I needed to turn that into something that could pull a sidecar and built a wooden monocoque sidecar body to replace the steel one that had crumpled when it hit the car and had it ready to drive in time for the winter of '95/'96.
A year later I made another trip to Cycle Salvage and bought an ATV rear end and spent that summer converting it to a trike to drive in the winter.
In '97 I put "Mr.Honda" together from parts of the '83 GoldWing and my wreck.

Between the normal chain drive & road salt problems and the too small splines stripping out of the wheel hubs (also salt related) I was shopping for something to replace the GS trike by 2000 and I wanted something with a shaft drive this time. I ended up buying the GL500 with the intention of converting it to a trike too but before I started the insurance climate changed and home built trikes had become very expensive to insure so in '01 I bought the Velorex 700 sidecar.
And joined a predecessor of this forum.

In '05 I replacd the GL500 with a CB750SC but it threw the camchain and ruined the engine. In '06 I bought a much abused CX650E that was otherwise destined to become a parts bike and turned it into the work in progress I've driven every winter since (Eccles). And in '09 I added a sidecar to Mr.H

BTW: GoldWings were "GL" before Honda called the home market version of the CX "GL500", let alone started designing the SilverWing.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I should add at post #3 I was referring to some riders feeling tired from vibes after 100km range.......
However there is a bit of a tingle at 100km/hr that you can avoid by small adjustment above or below. . :)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The GoldWing is my summer vehicle and the SilverWing was what I drove in winter (since replaced by the CX650E that became Eccles).

My first GoldWing ('77 GL1000) was bought in '91 to replace the bike part of the Dnepr sidecar outfit I drove for a couple of winters until I couldn't get the parts to keep it running (long story and long before the Internet). I had been thinking in the first half of the winter of '94/'95 that 1) it was really too heavy to push out of snowbanks and 2) it rally had too much power for a winter machine (too easy to get the back wheel spinning when driving in snow) and had decided the next one should be smaller and lighter.
In Feb '95 a car turned left across my path and wrote it off. I bought the wreck from the insurance company because I wanted some of the parts for the next winter machine and when I got it home I found that the engine was good.
While I was home recovering from the accident (broken wrist) someone put me in touch with a fellow who had an '83 'Wing with a seized engine. I went to see him hoping he would buy my engine but after we chatted for a while we both agreed it would be better if I bought the bike from him.
Even after sitting outside for 6 years before he bought it it was too nice to become a winter beater (not to mention that I wanted the next winter machine to be smaller & lighter) so it was destined to become my next summer machine. But it was too big & heavy while I was recovering from a broken wrist and I had the '78 GS400 to ride in the summer so getting something ready to drive the next winter was a higher priority.

A friend had given me his '83 GS400 for a parts bike for my '78 but aside from the missing parts (front wheel, headlight, seat and tank) it was i decent shape and ran so I went to Cycle Salvage and got what I needed to turn that into something that could pull a sidecar and built a wooden monocoque sidecar body to replace the steel one that had crumpled when it hit the car and had it ready to drive in time for the winter of '95/'96.
A year later I made another trip to Cycle Salvage and bought an ATV rear end and spent that summer converting it to a trike to drive in the winter.
In '97 I put "Mr.Honda" together from parts of the '83 GoldWing and my wreck.

Between the normal chain drive & road salt problems and the too small splines stripping out of the wheel hubs (also salt related) I was shopping for something to replace the GS trike by 2000 and I wanted something with a shaft drive this time. I ended up buying the GL500 with the intention of converting it to a trike too but before I started the insurance climate changed and home built trikes had become very expensive to insure so in '01 I bought the Velorex 700 sidecar.
And joined a predecessor of this forum.

In '05 I replacd the GL500 with a CB750SC but it threw the camchain and ruined the engine. In '06 I bought a much abused CX650E that was otherwise destined to become a parts bike and turned it into the work in progress I've driven every winter since (Eccles). And in '09 I added a sidecar to Mr.H

BTW: GoldWings were "GL" before Honda called the home market version of the CX "GL500", let alone started designing the SilverWing.
Got it, thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts