Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Last week I slowly lost use of both RH indicators - they both started developing a delay which became worse & worse until they stopped working completely. Both LH indicators work fine.

I've tested the bulbs in-situ of both RH indicators directly from the battery & they work.

My next guess is the switch in the LH bar switch cluster - any advice on what I test or look for in it pls ?

Kawasakifreak

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
spray some electrical contact cleaner in the switch - and work the indicator left to right several times- it could come good...without having to open it up.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I agree -- first step is to spray contact cleaner into the switch. If that doesn't fix your lack of RH blinkers, the next step is to find the electrical connectors that are between the switch and the blinker. I think some are in the headlight bucket. Once you locate the electrical connector(s), pull them apart and carefully sand them shiny with a small fine file. Gently squeeze the female connector shut a little bit so it grips the male end tightly.

These bikes are 30ish years old now. Over time, the myriad little plugs get corrosion on them and as a result, don't conduct electricity as well as they would if the metal was clean and shiny.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What bike and year are you refering to. You could update your post to show. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I'm guessing, but it might also be a lazy flasher unit. Maybe one side of the relay mechanism has gotten sluggish where the other is still free moving. They are pretty cheap. I think they are pretty commonly available at a regular auto part store.

Joel in the Couve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.