Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I INSTALLED MY NEWLY FILLED AND CHARGED BATTERY LAST NIGHT AND TURNED THE KEY ON. (NO GAS IN THE TANK YET SO I DIDN'T START THE BIKE.) ALL THE LIGHTS SEEMED TO WORK WELL. HOWEVER, WHEN I TRIED THE BLINKERS THE LEFT SIDE WORKED WELL BUT THE RIGHT SIDE ONLY BLINKED ONCE OR TWICE THEN STOPPED BLINKING. THE SIDE COVERS ARE BOTH OFF AND WHEN I TURN THE BLINKERS ON I CAN HERE A GOOD CLICK FROM THE RELAY WHENEVER THEY BLINK. I'M EXPECTING THAT THE RELAY IS CHEEP SO WAS JUST GOING TO TRY CHANGING IT OUT AND SEE IF THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE I SHOULD CHECK FIRST.

P.S. SORRY 'BOUT THE YELLING BUT THIS COMP IS STUCK ON CAPS LOCK

·
Super Moderator
23,734 Posts
Check the connections around the right indicator circuit for starters.

Also, with the right indicator on flick the relay a few times, if it starts to flash a few times it's definitely your problem but because of the way the indicator circuit is wired on these bikes I would expect the problem to lie elsewhere since the left side works.

Are both front and rear indicators on the right side coming on when they do flash, it could be a bad globe.

Also, remove the globes and check the globe base for corrosion, this can cause weird behaviour .

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Ditto connections

if its good one side then I doubt its the relay as it drives

both sides.

the relays depend on a cerrain amount of current flowing to

operate properly and poor connections can make em struggle

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had the same issue on my bike. It ended up being a broke wire (internal copper) in the harness next to the steering neck where the wires flex when turning. Verify the connections first. If no joy, then you may start looking at the wiring in that area.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When it blinks both sided front and back blink strong.

I checked it again this morning before going to work. I wanted to see if the light was staying on or going off when it stopped blinking. It stays on.

I noticed though that when I turn on the right blinker first it continues to blink until I turn the switch off. However, if I turn on the left blinker then turn on the right the right only blinks once or twice.

I will check connections this evening, or maybe Saturday.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't get a chance to dig into it last night but I did notice that when the blinker stops blinking that I can get it to start again if i wiggle the wiring harness that travels under the right side of the gas tank. Darn! I was hopping that it would be a simpler fix so I could take the bike for a safety inspection Friday morning. Oh well guess the inspection will wait till Monday afternoon.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sounds like a broken wire. On my bike, it was in the harness where it flexes when turning the handle bars. When you get back to it, take some time to flex the wiring in small areas to pin point exactly where the issue is. To do this, turn the key on and select the signal that isn't working. Wiggle and/or flex a small section of the harness and watch to see if the signal starts working. Once you find the sweet spot, open up the harness in that area. Be sure to turn the key off before diving in!

The hardest part was getting into the harness, but once done finding the wire was easy. The insulation was intact, but the copper within was broken and caused the wire to have a noticable deformity. The wire you will be looking for is a small guage light blue wire (not 100% positive on color, though). I soldered mine back together and covered it with two layers of heat shrink, but a butt splice would work as well.

After you get the repair made, turn the signal on, wiggle the harness and turn the wheel to full stop in both directions before bundling the wires back up. If you are good, you can do all three simultaniously.
Watching to make sure that the repair is good and that there isn't a secondary break at another place. Bundle up the harness if all is well, and then do another test inthe same fashion to make sure everything is still good.

The whole thing should take about thrity minutes. It isn't a huge deal (assuming that is where the break is).

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If the harness has been altered or added to in any way - particularly for the blinkers/indicators - it is quite possibly just a bad or loose earth connection.. try to clean up your connections first, then chase the non-blinking wire problem. If you have a multimeter - makes it a simpler process of finding the fault of intermittent or no continuity.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I thought I had solved my problem. I opened up the head light and found that my front turn signals were grounded to the head light ring. (These are aftermarket signals.) I found the ground wire that I believe the original signals were plugged into and hooked both signals up to that ground. WALA
no more problems with the turn signal. So I buttoned the head light back up and was wiping the gauges down when my wife came into the garage. I decided to show her that I had fixed the signal problem, turned on the key and flipped the switch for the right signal; it blinked twice and stopped. ARGGGGG
Every time that I have tried it since then it has worked. I think that I will just leave it alone for now as long as it keeps working.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.