Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what others have for an opinion about the reuse of various copper gaskets when they are sucessfully removed without tearing them apart. Also if others have reused them, what if any prep did they do before reuse? hammer them? anneal them? etc...

Also, There is a sign of some PINK on some of my Gaskets, Beleive this is some sort of high temp sealant that was used by Honda. are others using additional gasket sealant on reused (or new) gaskets prior to Install?

If using new copper gaskets, what prep and/or method is recommended?

What about Gasket thickness, as some of the new copper gaskets that are available seem to be thicker than the originals?

I am talking about
a) exhaust manifold gaskets
b) exahust header to Turbo Gasket
C) Turbo to muffler/downpipe gasket

Thanks

jPS

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
thick is good

anneal copper

no sealant

lube is not sealant

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone reusing the old ones?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is this a cost or availability issue?
nla from honda, but available from third party. I have had some of the gaskets come out in pieces, and others come out very nicely. Since they are copper and you can anneal them, I was just thinking about reusing them after cleanup and annealing process. Just wondering if others are reusing, what the experience is. More of a I don't want to hold up my project for a week or two waiting for parts if I do not have to.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
It depends on cond. and availability

the local hdwe.stores have some

and necessity if I want to ride

I might make a "Temporary" fix.

"All fix's are temporary the only permanent

fix is a furnace":rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts