Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Honda CX500 Deluxe
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great to meet everyone.

Been lurking for a few weeks and thought I should finally create an account. I was honestly a little hesitant, reading through the forum it became pretty clear, pretty quick, that I made every rookie mistake with this 1979 CX500 Deluxe I bought five years ago (photo below of what it looked like then).

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I got the bike from someone who had started a cafe racer project. After only riding it a few times I immediately started stripping it down for a full rebuild. I made some progress on the frame, ordered some parts, but as often happens with projects that begin with more "enthusiasm" than solid planning, life got in the way and the bike has sat in pieces for the last few years.

Turning 30 this year, I figured I either had to sell the parts or actually finish it. Decided to return to the project, hopefully with a bit more humility, and a lot more planning. My first plan was to tackle the triple bypass on the engine (since it's out).

Looking forward to learning from everyone here. And appreciate any advice or wisdom as I start again.

·
Registered
1979 Honda CX500 Deluxe
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe not the most organized way to do it but I tackle my projects from all sides at once.
I think that's a great way of thinking about a project. Too often I fall into the trap of waiting for everything to be perfectly lined up in some sequence, then things inevitably don't work.

Really appreciate the advice.

SO unless
1) You have determined that the camchain needs to be replaced,
2) The charging part of your stator has failed or
3) Your starter clutch is skipping
you don't need to open the rear of the engine.
Thanks for sharing, didn't know the current consensus on this. Would you say these aftermarket ignition systems are a better option than replacing the stator (I did find a couple of CDI units online - although they're expensive)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts