Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 81 cx500 custom and the front fender is all faded and scratched up and dull, nad i've tried some light compounds nad polishers on it like mothers nad it does nothing, i need something that is more "harsh" that can get rid of this....

you can see that I'm talking about with the front fender.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Remember that polishing chrome, one of the toughest metals out there, can be time consuming.

Go out and find some DuPont "Old #7" chrome polish. It was discontinued some time back but has been returned to the market. If it's the same formula it's been for the past 50 years it will have a strong ammonia smell to it. Works rather well.

Get a buffing wheel that chucks into a drill to use with the polish or, if you have a grinder, get a buffing wheel for that and remove the fender.

If this doesn't work after giving it a decent chance go the next step up to an automotive rubbing, not buffing compound.

Last case would be to use a buffing wheel and a selection of the various grits of buffing compound that's available in brick form. The coarsest stuff is usually black and it gets finer as you work up the scale in lightness. The only drawback here is you need to have different wheels for different compounds, you don't want to use a wheel that once had black on it when you get into the finer grit stuff.

If there's deep corrosion or pitting many have had luck by using a combination of polish or even WD-40 with some aluminum foil. The foil will tend to fill in the pitted areas to some extent.

Just accept the fact it's going to take some time and elbow grease, it took decades to get that bad and there's no easy cure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts