Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, recently decided that I should do something with two CX500s that my Dad had stored in the garage for 22 years. There's a CX500E which hasn't been started since 1989 and a CX500 Eurosport which was bought for spares, so I was thinking that I'd buy new sparkplugs, oil and a battery for the CX500E and give it a check to see if can be started, then when I have that running I'm going to repaint the tank and fairing from the Eurosport and put those onto the other bike along with the brakes and seat.

So, given the amount of experience most of the members have on this forum with this bike I'd like to ask for advice on what I need to replace, steps I should take to make sure the bike is running properly etc. before it being road worthy, cheers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey all, recently decided that I should do something with two CX500s that my Dad had stored in the garage for 22 years. There's a CX500E which hasn't been started since 1989 and a CX500 Eurosport which was bought for spares, so I was thinking that I'd buy new sparkplugs, oil and a battery for the CX500E and give it a check to see if can be started, then when I have that running I'm going to repaint the tank and fairing from the Eurosport and put those onto the other bike along with the brakes and seat.

So, given the amount of experience most of the members have on this forum with this bike I'd like to ask for advice on what I need to replace, steps I should take to make sure the bike is running properly etc. before it being road worthy, cheers.
Replace all fluids, both tires and clean carbs. Lube cables ends.

·
Registered
802 Posts

When you change the coolant used distilled water, I believe some members with more experience tha myself prefer Peak Global or Honda coolant. there is a pair of coolant plugs at the front of each cylinder, they have to be removed, also drain the coolant reservoir. Check that the radiator drain plug which is plastic isn't cracked.

I bet the rubber is all shot in the carbs. My Cx was in storage and they were all dissolved I guess from bad gas.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
You speak of a CX500E and a CX500 Eurosport as if they were two different models? I thought they were different names for the same model? Just wondering what is different between them?

·
Registered
22 Posts
We were in the same boat 5 or so years ago with our cx500

Replace all fluids, both tires and clean carbs. Lube cables ends.

In adition to this after you replace the engine oil and filter I would crank the engine with out the plugs in and a little penetrating oil down the cylinders to both build the oil pressure quickly and clear off some the rust in the bores.

We also had to rebuild the front brake calipers and master cylinder as the slide grease had become so thick the calipers could not return freely after applying the front brake and the return hole in the master cylinder had become blocked.

After you get running no doubt you will need to go through the carbis, ours was running quite well but not starting from cold we were chasing our tails trying to find the problem and in the end with some coaxing from members of this site and instructions froms Larry "the cx carb guru" book we got our cx sorted to start with a touch of the button from dead cold.

Good Luck and happy wrenching

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back again, I'm going to try to get one of the CXs running over this summer. The old Haynes manual engine diagrams seem to be brilliant, but I've got it in my head that it would be a good idea to dismantle the engine, clean it out and then rebuild it. Would this be a good move before trying to start it? (looking in the exhaust out-take it seems to be dark black with carbon deposits)

Also, are the seats for the 500C and regular 500 the same?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You speak of a CX500E and a CX500 Eurosport as if they were two different models? I thought they were different names for the same model? Just wondering what is different between them?

Oh and it turns out that both of them were not E or Eurosport, it was a confusion when I was reading an old receipt. They're both CX500(UK) models. Sorry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.