Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story time!

Decided to do something about the mechanical seal on my bike. Dropped the engine, opened her up, extracted the old seals...

Couldn't find a replacement rear cover gasket. Bad timing, I suppose.

Not to be discouraged, I decided to check a few other things while waiting for a listing. Snapped a couple bolts while replacing the clutch cover. Cried. Still couldn't find a gasket.

Winter... came (California winter). Put everything away for about 8 months. Cried a bit. Acquired a new bike in the meantime ('08 Ninja 250 that I hate working on...).

Finally located a gasket and bolts. Pulled everything together over the past month, alternating between sitting on my butt waiting for parts and completely neglecting my personal health to get everything back together.

Engine is back in the frame. New stator, new seals, new gaskets, Rae San Pickup (not new; did that a few years ago). Fluids replaced. Carbs are doing their jobs. Compression is good. Timings adjusted.

No spark, either side. Tried searching for help; Motofaction seems to be a dead end, Haynes manual is mostly irrelevant with the new pickups, forum threads all seem to be about CDI bikes and/or replacing the ignition coils with 'Ignitech' pieces. Mine is TI and I'm using the stock coils.

I've stuck a multimeter in various places, checking for continuity and resistances in logical places; everything seems to be wired up correctly. Obviously not, though. Shutoff switch is working correctly, and yes, I do have it turned on.

I'm probably missing something obvious here. Or I just need to sleep on it. Possibly both.

Any help and advice will be appreciated; I'm at my wit's end here...

Thanks in advance,
Sam

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
451 Posts
confused as to why the NEC modules are still present -
do you have the metal box TAI version, or the all in one PCB-hall pickup in the rear of the engine -
are the lights flashing on the hall board -
if not thne no power to the hall unit.

Rayman

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
confused as to why the NEC modules are still present -
do you have the metal box TAI version, or the all in one PCB-hall pickup in the rear of the engine -
are the lights flashing on the hall board -
if not thne no power to the hall unit.

Rayman
Unless I'm seriously mistaken, I believe I have the all-in-one version. I received an aluminum rotor+magnet and a PCB. When I tested it engine-out, the lights were all turning on and off at the appropriate intervals. If I need to, I can attempt the fabled engine-in check tomorrow...

The NEC modules are still present because I wasn't sure if I should remove them, and even if they're not needed, there's no point cluttering up my already limited storage space with pieces that I can leave on the bike without penalty. Is there a legitimate reason to remove them?

·
Registered
451 Posts
no need to remove them - just needed to check they weren't in use in some strange way :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay. New day, decent sleep. Didn't magically fix itself overnight, which is probably a good thing.

However, before I go trying to remove the pulser cover with the engine in the bike (looks like fun...), I thought I'd try something easier:

Electrical wiring Gadget Audio equipment Electronic component Cable

Let me know if this is helpful or if there's something else I should test.

·
Super Moderator
5,669 Posts
I would think that voltage readings would be more informative than resistance readings.

·
Registered
451 Posts
why does the balck wire / white stripe show two different voltages - it should be powering the hall pickup - but is showing 0.11 V
that would be a problem ...

Rayman

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why does the balck wire / white stripe show two different voltages - it should be powering the hall pickup - but is showing 0.11 V
that would be a problem ...

Rayman
If you're referring to the 12.48V reading in the top row, that's just the system voltage at the battery as reference. As for the Red-Black/White connection (0.11V), that had me suspicious, too. Is there something I can do to test the system further without pulling the bike apart again?

·
Registered
451 Posts
the black with white strips should be the ignition power circuit for the bike and should all be connected - from the kill switch -
maybe check coitinuity and the fuses to start with - it looks like there isn o power to the hall pickup from that - but theres not a lot to work from.

Rayman

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm probably missing something obvious here. Or I just need to sleep on it. Possibly both.
Finger Wood Jewellery Thumb Metal

Electrical wiring Electrical supply Technology Gas Cable

Runs like a champ now. I'll have to finish testing tomorrow after I finish putting everything back together.

Thank you all for the help anyway,
Sam

·
Registered
451 Posts
ah ha !
good to hear.
Rayman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts