Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days back I was supposed to goto Rochester to meet up with Matt. Well on the way the CX was giving me trouble. Was on the road for 2 hours without incident staying under the 4.5k RPM mark. Making ok time at 80km/hr or 50 mph for our friends down south. Then it I wanted to open her up a little bit, just for fun. So I opened her up and got to 60 mph at 5.5k RPM. That's when all hell broke loose. She sputtered / stumbled and wouldn't stop. She nearly died on me at one point and I texted Matt saying I couldn't make it. Bummer.

So up until I got her home she would stumble between 3k to 5.5k but then charge like a bat outa hell beyond that. Weird! After a lot of research on here, mostly. I was sure it was electrical. Coiliosis maybe. But before that I'll check everything else. Air box/crankcase breather. All ground connections looked great. Carbs were good, enough. Petcock was clear and flowing. Adjusted valves and timing chain. Opened the caps and saw 2 brand spanking new resisters and DR8E??? plugs. The R stands for resister right? What's the affect of having 2 instances of resistance? I hope my CDI is not permanently damaged. I've been riding her for 2 years like this but only now have opened her up to using the high speed coils.

Well. New non-resister plugs, Fresh gas and a can of seafoam and she got me to work like nothing was wrong. So for now the problem is solved. We'll see after a high speed shakedown tomorrow on the highway. Anybody else have this issue? Could that really be causing the stumbling?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Too much resistance for the high speed output. As spark frequency increases, resistance kills the strength of the spark.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
So I opened her up and got to 60 mph at 5.5k RPM. That's when all hell broke loose. She sputtered / stumbled and wouldn't stop.
Do a stator test.

Lima_Check.jpg

Here in Europa we usually have the DR8ESL spark plugs and the spark plugs with their 5k Ohm resistors. All the bikes run well, ....if the stator is good.

The first thing what I recommend:
Check the spark plug caps for these 5.000 Ohm.
Next check: Clean the wire connection (plug and contacts) coming out off the rear part of the engine, then do the stator check for the correct Ohm values.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea. I've been putting it off because I didn't want to deal with it if it really was the issue. I'll have a look within the next few days. There's now more noise from the engine and more anxiety about having to do a triple bypass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts