Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a stator for my 1980 CX500C from RMStator and, on a lark, checked the coil resistances.

According to this, the resistance between blue and ground should be between 387 and 473 ohms, and the resistance between blue and white should be between 77 and 95 ohms.

Instead, the resistance between green and white (5 and 9) is 306 ohms, and the resistance between blue and white (8 and 9) is 10 ohms.

Should aftermarket stators fall within the same range? Has anyone else tested a stator from RMStator?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Yeah, they suck.
They are intentionally selling an out of Honda specification stator as a "CX compatible" stator.

Mine failed within 100 miles (in a corner, going down hill, windy road, no turnouts for over a mile, my engine just shut down), and I had to buy an Ignitech to get my bike running again.
When I e-mailed RM Stator and asked why they would sell an out of specification stator, they didn't bother contacting be back.
I've said it once, I'll say it again. Fuck RM Stator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what it's worth, I just checked the RMStator site, which says the resistance should be 300 and 10 ohms, plus or minus 20 per cent. So the stator isn't faulty per se (at least it doesn't have a short in it) but it's not Honda-spec. This info was not listed in their Amazon listing, where I bought it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
As a group there might be something to be done about this situation.

Power in numbers if an inordinate percentage of failure is documented .

Is there a way that we could put a sticky or something where members

could leave review about defective parts without the forum being exposed to

possible negative repercussion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you had a bad RMStator experience, too? I'm trying to decide if I want to RMA.

·
Super Moderator
22,142 Posts
Alectrix stators as sold by David silvers UK also have different resistance values to an OEM CDI stator. This in itself doesn't mean poor quality, - the electrix are very good.

Not sticking up for RM stators quality here though, just pointing out the discrepency isn't the problem in itself.

We need baselines for after market stators for the wiki BTW.

They're easier to diagnose if we know the baseline figures. This info from this thread will be pirated to the wiki.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to see a poll of some kind where people can report what stator they installed and how long it's lasted them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Curious how it may be my turn for this repair on my bike and all this crap flares up.:confused: so I have been reading past posts here and else where on the web and a company called custom rewind keeps coming up. has any body had one done by them ?. I for one would not want to do all that work and expence to get 100 mile ride for sure , and then do it again . where do we get the good stuff!:(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curious how it may be my turn for this repair on my bike and all this crap flares up.:confused: so I have been reading past posts here and else where on the web and a company called custom rewind keeps coming up. has any body had one done by them ?. I for one would not want to do all that work and expence to get 100 mile ride for sure , and then do it again . where do we get the good stuff!:(
Their website looks like something that fell through a wormhole from 1996 and I hear communications can be difficult but that the results are very, very good.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Custom Rewind is the best stator you can put on your bike.
If you convert to an Ignitech module on a CX500, you can run a G8 stator, or pay the higher price for the G47, and not have to worry about your stator again.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
When you look up a stator at Customrewind, they don't list G8 or G47. If you want a G47, check the part # for your year CX. If you want a G8 look for the part # for a TI CX ('82 up).

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just received a G8 stator from custom rewind. It is nice. Nice workmanship and checks out as it should with the meter. I'm still putting the engine together so I cannot report on its output yet. I called them ad was able to talk to them pretty easily. Too much bad press about other brands and pulling the engine out for a bad new stator is not something I want to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts