Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,346 Posts
Interesting adhesive. I have used several different types and not had that good of results. Sure they hold for a while but then they go south and the ring starts coming off. Maybe a rubbery substance is the way to go. That's why the last one I suffered through taking apart the ring the right way. And it's a pain but looks good together. But The simple cut in the bad isn't noticed either if it holds together.

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This stuff will hold very well for a long time. The speedometer on my red CX500 is held together with it and I think it's been over two years now. I also use it to seal the O-rings for the engines coolant pipes and O-rings. Not only do they slide in better but it doesn't allow seepage to loosen the bond like silicon will over time. Great stuff.

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
When I did the one for my 500 I wiped the band & the case edges clean with lacquer thinner and applied Devcon epoxy in much the same way as you show, except that I clamped it with electric tape, starting with a couple of wraps from side to side (across the front & back of the speedo) to hold the gap as close to closed as possible and then several wraps stretched tightly around the band and finished with a couple of wraps at right angles to the first wraps. I let it cure overnight before removing the tape and touched up the gap with a small file. When it left here and 4 years (about 38,000 Km) of abuse later it was still holding.

BTW: I think I was one of the first on the forums (it was the original Swedish CX forum that fathered or grandfathered all of the ones we have now) to describe opening up a speedo for repair. I read about how to do it on the old Classic Wings MSN group.

The shaft for the reset knob on my 500's trip odometer was broken off so for the first year I wrote down the odometer reading on the cash slip every time I filled the tank and kept it in my pocket so I could tell when I would need more fuel.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The Honda SOHC4 forum's tips on removing the speedo needle is to use a pair of spoons, one on each side of the needle, to use to simultaneously pry the needle up off the shaft. The curve of the spoon serves as the fulcrum against the instrument face. It is used successfully to remove the needle off of CB500/CB550/CB650/CB750 SOHC4 speedos. Since many of them are built close to the same time it is safe to say their design is very similar.

David

·
Super Moderator
15,346 Posts
Different speedometers have different ends. Some have a pin style where I have ran into others that have what looks like a pin with a knurled ball on the end.

Depending on what I have I either use two butter knifes or a fork. Never tried spoons.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Larry is pulling the tach apart the same procedure? The inside of my glass is dirty for whatever reason and I'd love to clean it.

·
Super Moderator
15,346 Posts
Larry is pulling the tach apart the same procedure? The inside of my glass is dirty for whatever reason and I'd love to clean it.

Yes.

·
Super Moderator
15,346 Posts
Here's a simple way to test to see how accurate your speedometer is.

This is from Bluefox but I also test my speedometers at 2 miles, 3 miles and 5miles.

a simple way may be just to time how long it takes the odometer to show exactly 1 mile. Take that number in seconds and divide it into 3600. That will give you the MPH that the needle should show. i.e. Let's say it takes 108 seconds for the odometer to turn 1 mile. Divide 3600 by 108 and the MPH that the dial should have shown would be 33.33 MPH.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Just be careful when it comes to the legalities. It's very illegal in this state to mess with a speedometer on a newer vehicle, however on anything over 10 or 20 (??) years old there's a box on the title that's automatically checked saying that the odometer may not indicate the accurate mileage. It's usually no big deal between two people so long as the info is exchanged.

Then there are cars like my '98 GM where, without the proper computer interface tools, you can't reset to -0- unless you reset the PCM and BCM as well. I think this is true of most cars that are OBD-II or better (started in '96) where the true milage is stored in the computers as well. Matter of fact there are some "black box" features in the newer GM cars much like the black box of an airplane.

The way this works is there's a large set of data representing about 5 minutes constantly circulating in sort of a volatile RAM situation. Should the airbags go off it transfers all the data that's present at the time into a non-volatile (permanent FLASH type) memory area so a well equipped dealer can go back and see what all was going on for the 5 minutes prior to airbag deployment. I think someone got hung over this one time after an accident involving a death, claimed they were driving the speed limit but the BCM knew better and they were able to prove the driver was actually closer to 100 mph in court.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts

This is from Bluefox but I also test my speedometers at 2 miles, 3 miles and 5miles.

a simple way may be just to time how long it takes the odometer to show exactly 1 mile. Take that number in seconds and divide it into 3600. That will give you the MPH that the needle should show. i.e. Let's say it takes 108 seconds for the odometer to turn 1 mile. Divide 3600 by 108 and the MPH that the dial should have shown would be 33.33 MPH.

Stich, this would only work perfectly if you were able to maintain a very constant speed during the time. And that is pretty difficult to achieve, in any vehicle. Yes, you could get pretty close, so I suppose it's moot.

·
Super Moderator
15,346 Posts
Stich, this would only work perfectly if you were able to maintain a very constant speed during the time. And that is pretty difficult to achieve, in any vehicle. Yes, you could get pretty close, so I suppose it's moot.

I use a drill. Corded and cordless. Before I seal it up. I prefer to have things right on the spot.

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
I have doubts about Eccles' speedo right now. I recently bought a used GPS and last weekend Matt & I went on a longish trip so we took it along and he played with it in the sidecar while I drove. On the way home he discovered the screen that measures trip distance, speed &c so I drove a few short distances at as constant a speed as possible while he told me what the GPS said. Apparently, the speedo reads about 10 Km/h low at 100 Km/h.

Over a 40 Km distance the odometer was within 0.5%.

I have never had this speedo apart so it isn't anything I did. Maybe its just the type of error Cycle Canada found in their tests.

I want to take the GPS with me in Kay's car now to see what it says about her speedo & odo.

·
Registered
143 Posts
@Blindstitch - I just zip-tie a GPS to my bike and compare the two :p You have to be careful to maintain a steady speed for the entirety of the stretch where you're timing your speedo, and try to be at speed before you hit your start point. Also, as your odometer and speedometer are driven by the same cable and gearing, they should have spot-on results. A better test is to use a known mile stretch (mile markers on the interstate, for example) to test.

@Marshallf3 - Thank you for pointing out the legal issues. For the state of Missouri, the vehicle mileage follows the VIN / frame, not the engine, and the vehicle must be 10 years old or YOUNGER to have the "MILEAGE IN EXCESS OF ITS MECHANICAL LIMITS" or "MILEAGE READING IS NOT ACTUAL". Vehicles older than 10 years old are mileage exempt.

·
Registered
5 Posts

The GPS idea sounds good to me

Cheers

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
So on my CX500 the rings are just held on by Screws, but getting into the speedo just will not happen. Is there something im missing in why it wont open up?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts

So on my CX500 the rings are just held on by Screws, but getting into the speedo just will not happen. Is there something im missing in why it wont open up?

Which rings are you speaking of? If it's the one in the above pic, that one is held on by being crimped at the factory. A lot of the first post was about cutting or bending this ring out to get the speedometer apart.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The outer ring is what I was talking about. Now mine are super east to get off.

imgur

21 - 40 of 57 Posts