Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a 82 gl500 with 34k on it and have decided she needs a rescue.
Below is a list of parts I am looking for.

-Left side panel.
X(decided to go aftermarket off eBay) headlight bracket (chrome piece)
X(got aftermarket compact setup) left hand controls (horn brights turn signals)
Xpossibly decent mufflers. (Going to clean up and modify the ones I have)
-rear cowl. If that's what it's called.
X(mechanic used tubing bender to reposition to be more comfortable) -handle bars in decent shape. Mine look okay but are kind of bent.
-passenger grab bar
-left side seat/helmet lock or set with key.
-anybody have an excellent condition gas tank?

There's a few more parts on the list realistically but this is the stuff I can do myself. I have a mechanic buddy in town that's charging me pennies for his excellent work. If anybody in tucson is on this forum and is tired of waiting in line at sparks for high-priced work let me know I'll pass on my guys name and email.

I would really love to find some people in town with these bikes that know their way around them and could teach me the ways of this beast. Also it never hurts to have riding buddies. I can be the extra set of hands if you need.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welcome man! I sent you a PM! Hopefully I'll be able to help you out, with parts at least. I'm not far from you, Mesa, AZ.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We can't be the only two guys from AZ on this forum. I've seen at least a dozen of these bikes throughout Arizona in my travels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Curious why eBay is loaded with right side panels and few lefts....were leffts lost or broken accessing the battery constantly?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea! I have pondered hard on the same thing.
Seems that's the best scenario I can think of. Mine was broken when I bought the bike. So currentlyI am unaware as to how it became in such a state.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
The left sides covers are always the first to go, due to the access to the battery. Larry has a method of fixing the mounting posts should they become broken. I think it is in the WIKI, I'll have to look. Basically, Plastifix is the stuff to go to. Here is that LINK

Of course, the premise is that you have a replacement to work with!

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
24,186 Posts
joel

larry made mould last year or the year before i cant remember but i sent him a Whack of side covers to fix (he is still grumbling)

and he made individual molds for each of the broken posts so now he can just make one if its missing

on the other hand i have to say david from wisconsin has a neat way of fixing them i got a set from him

and i think it used a socket head cap screw a sacrificed chicken and some sort of epoxy some chanting and voila

now it looks strange on the inside but it does work jack the bear

i think he has the method on his website

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
i spoke to david

he does not have the method on a website

but when the greenbay packers finish loosing he said he would write something lol
Well, I tried several times to upload photos to Photobucket with no luck. Maybe Murray will post them for me.

What you want to do is measure the height of the post from a good side cover. Then go to your local hardware store and buy some allen bolts the right length and size. I always use stainless bolts even though they cast three times as much simply to avoid having them rust. I think the proper thread size is the same as a cover bolt, but you want an allen head on it so it goes through the rubber grommets the same as the original post.

You also need Plasti-Fix. Fiberglass will not work! Eventually fiberglass will come loose from the plastic.

I use a Dremel tool with a medium size ball bit in it to clean off the paint to prep it for the Plasti-Fix. You don't need to go any deeper than getting the paint off for this procedure.

Next you need to put some Plasti-Fix down to make a level shelf to put the bolt on.

Try to square up the surface of the PF (Plasti-Fix) by putting the bolt on the PF before it sets up completely. The bolt should be in the middle of the u-shaped portion of the original post. The bolt needs to be square to the hole that it will be going through and not to the cover itself. The CX650 covers are harder to do as they have an angle to them.

Take a piece of packing tape long enough to go over the bolt and to both sides of the cover when it is in the place you want it place on the cover and hold the bolt with the tape. Make sure you fold over the ends of the tape to make the removal of the tape much, much easier. Trust me on that one! It may take more than one piece of packing tape if you have never done this before. The first few that you will do take your time and keep checking that the bolt hasn't started to tip on you as you are building the PF up around the bolt.

Then slowly build up the PF around the bolt until it is about 1/2" up around the bolt. You do this in steps so the PF is solid enough that it doesn't slide away from the bolt as you build up around the threads. Allow the PF to fully dry. If it is above 70F it takes 15-20 minutes to dry.

With having replace a lot of these post in the past years I can do the total operation in 15-30 minutes. I have never had anyone break one of my repairs ... even though I broke a couple after cutting grooves in the side to fix crooked bolts and to try and break it on purpose. The side cover will break before you break the PF the way I fix them. I proved that a couple of times. I have never had PF crack or break on any plastic repair I have done on any plastic. I once took a piece of scrap from a Kawasaki side panel and bent it over a vice head and broke the panel in a new place, but the PF didn't crack or break.

One benefit to doing it this way is when you are done, if you have used the wrong length of allen bolt, you can simply unscrew the allen bolt and get one the proper length to put in its place. I have done this on a couple of occasions where I had grabbed wrong length bolt because I thought I remembered which length went where. The post are different lengths in different places.

I hope this is helpful in repairing your side covers. If it isn't when I am healthy again you could send me your side covers and I can fix the pretty cheaply. I do recommend though that you buy at least the basic starter kit of PF and do it yourself ... as it isn't that hard to do. Then you will have extra PF if you need to fix any plastic in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts