Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
John, you can put it on your wish-list :)

...Pre-orders can already be made.

The parts are in production. After milling, they go to eroding and then to anodizing. It will take some time because there are three different companies in process.

If necessary, we can also adjust the number of pieces for all three variants.

I expect the parts will be available in mid-December or early January

If you want to order or ask for a price, please contact me by PM and tell me the country you come from so that I can make an offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Original water pump wheels of the CX / GL series are no longer available.

The situation with the 650 engines and the 500/650 turbos is almost hopeless.
The second-hand market has been swept clean here. The impellers are only offered sporadically around the world.

A well-known problem is wear of the teeth on the 650 WaPu wheels or corrosion damage due to long idle times.

But I've seen worn teeth several times also at 500water pump impellers.

View attachment 210506

...Maybe the impeller of the next engine, on which you remove the rear cover and want to change the WaPu seal, looks like this.

It's no fake! This wheel I've got with a 650 engine, I had to repair.

The upper picture shows the wheel before and the lower pictures show it after sandblasting.

View attachment 210507

With the 500, there is a possibility that you can still get a usable one somewhere. With all other models, the chance of this is almost hopeless.

Because I have a CX 650 and several 650 engines myself, I decided to re-produce the water pump wheels for the 650 cc engines first.

In order to be able to manufacture the parts cost-effectively, we of course have to use modern technology.

I got support from Kay, an engineer friend from the CX forum, who measured the wheel and created a CAD drawing and a stp file for production on a 5-axis turning and milling center. Without this support, the idea would not have been possible.

The impellers were scanned and measured ...

... and the first drawings and 3D views followed

View attachment 210486

The production of the toothing was a particular challenge, as there is no suitable tool and the production of a broach would have been far too expensive.

In addition, a subsequent correction of the tool would not have been possible and the risk of losing a lot of money would have been very high.

So we also solved this detail "our way". That means, we photographed, enlarged and redrawn the teeth of the hub and the shaft and created a file from this,
after which the teeth could been wire eroded.

View attachment 210491

The result was so good that the teeth fits better than the original :D

View attachment 210508

View attachment 210509

The wheels are made from a particularly suitable aluminum alloy.
To avoid cavitation damage, it was initially planned to polish the surface and / or anodize it to a hard or glossy finish.

But the quality of the first prototypes was so good that we can do without polishing and only have to anodize the parts.

The enthusiasm in the German CX Forum was so great that people also wanted water pump wheels for the 500 cc engine.

So now we manufacture the 650cc wheels an also 500cc wheels and those for the CX 500 Turbo.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a template for the CX 650, but if we het one, we also can do it for the 650 Turbo engine.

The photo shows a 500 wheel at the top, the 650 wheel at the bottom left and the CX 500 Turbo wheel at the right

View attachment 210510

"It's a very nice fit", Paul Brodie would say now. :D

... There is still no seal under the cap nut. Theoretically you wouldn't need it either, but the wheels are delivered complete with an aluminum sealing washer to prevent
that the anodized layer could be damaged.

The original copper seal is not used here. Aluminum and copper are considered to be an impermissible material pairing. Although there is a risk that a galvanic element can form here, due to the anodizing is to be classified as low, I do not want to take this risk either.

View attachment 210512

View attachment 210513
WOW! Very impressed, good job!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)

Production has started.

The first 5 wheels (left in the picture) are for the 500 Turbo. You can identify them by the bigger diameter. The second series (you can see it by the height) are the 650s.

Dishware Light Product Cosmetics Gas

PRIOR NOTICE:

There will be a detailed video of the project on this channel. When the time comes, I'll post the link to the video here. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)

The 5 turbo wheels and those for the 650s are completely milled and on the way to eroding the toothing.

Grille Peripheral Input device Wood Office equipment

...It continues with the milling of the 500s :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
What a sight, newly produced parts for 40+ year old bikes, nice! Thanks for helping keep old MCs on the road!

Reactions: bahn88 and Tombat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think, this is a good decision. It's better to have one than to need one. ;)

...But there are 3 different variants. 500, 650 and 500 Turbo.

Which engine doe you have and where is your location?

Plant Petal Automotive wheel system Art Auto part

21 - 28 of 28 Posts