Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Damned computers.
Ok, so for those geeks out there:
- A verified 5500K light source (I do colour for a living) with my iPhoneX. I the colour was processed using Apple's P3 gamut from its Sony sensor.

The reason for going "ultra-dork" on the camera settings, is so that we can all see what the colour difference is between the paint on the gas cap artwork, compared to the paint on the ignition key artwork. Sunlight is a B%tch with paint. I am impressed that the pigments are somewhat close after 38 years. (Well, at least "close" - like Los Angeles is close to San Fransisco "close".)

I can measure the chromatic values of the paint (I think). But is anyone going to care?
Let me know if anyone wants specific values for reproduction. Otherwise I am going to learn what I can about these bits, before switching to a metallic red/blue and maybe metallic white?

I am going to see about pulling a mould of the original "plastic" from the original key. No promises, as I do not have a completely intact one.

bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
I only have one good fuel cap and one good key and am not comfortable taking those apart. However, I can and will help looking for companies that can help reproduce what we need.
No worries. I have 2 sets. I have one intact gas-cap and a "Hero" key that I will not use.
But after doing some reading, I learned that there is a way to re-create durable replacements.
I am doing some groundwork that should allow us to either rebuild originals, or re-create replacements.

bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is great info and great news! Please keep us posted! My #2 650T arrives tomorrow.... we will see what she looks like!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Going to look into restoration possibilities. (Ie: Possible Testors enamel. Hmm.. Maybe even metallic flake for fun!)
But still need to figure out how to build an "unrolling" apparatus for the cap, itself.
I have made an unrolling device and repaired a lot of tank caps.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I can do it for you but shipping costs are very expensive to and from US / Netherlands
You can also contact Joe Hovel in Australia who designed this piece of equipment and can make it for you.
Maybe shipping costs are less to Australia

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had Joe Hovel repair mine.
Shipping was a little over $20 each way. Joe's charge is very reasonable, considering his time to build the tool and perform the repair.
Considering the rarity of theses caps, worth it to repair, and used ones are much more money.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Shipping each way from Europe/USA is 35 dollar. Don't know if there is also custom taxes in the USA.
For us in Europe we have to pay high taxes for goods from USA.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts