Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
So you don't see any problem with someone reproducting the Honda wing that is their official company logo? You don't think Honda will care about that at all? The Honda of old is gone... The new Honda management staff looks at things very differently...

This is one of those moments where if you end up in court you are thinking... "What was I doing"????? Reproducing the trademark of a multi-billion dollar company that is on a global scale and market....

It's not just AHM.... AHM has influence on all areas, but Corporate still runs things. With the way sales and the global economy has been, it leaves time to focus on other small items that before weren't a consideration... --Like copyright infraction....

You may want to re-think your viewpoint?

This is one of the problems of modern laws. Yes, copying the logo might be illegal. At the same time though, Honda does not make these parts anymore. Honda's has declared these bikes "obsolete" and will not produce these parts for us. As a result the fans of these great bikes are filling in a needed gap.

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is all true, but you also must understand that the thought process behind a limited production motorcycle is to LIMIT the bikes and parts available. This is what makes it special!!!!

PK

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
What's the cost of licensing for repro's?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is all true, but you also must understand that the thought process behind a limited production motorcycle is to LIMIT the bikes and parts available. This is what makes it special!!!!

PK

Every production run is limited !

Using the phrase "Limited Edition" is just a selling scam making you believe you are buying something special. Believe me a limited edition production stops when the sales start to plumed. If a manufacturer promises before hand that only a fixed number are made then they normally introduce a slightly other model soon afterwards

I never heard that the Turbo was a limited production run before. It didn''t sell so they stopped production, simple as that.

I think no judge anywhere in the world will rule in favor of the manufacturer who complains that individuals are repairing there cars with parts they don't supply anymore.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Every production run is limited !

Using the phrase "Limited Edition" is just a selling scam making you believe you are buying something special. Believe me a limited edition production stops when the sales start to plumed. If a manufacturer promises before hand that only a fixed number are made then they normally introduce a slightly other model soon afterwards

I never heard that the Turbo was a limited production run before. It didn''t sell so they stopped production, simple as that.

I think no judge anywhere in the world will rule in favor of the manufacturer who complains that individuals are repairing there cars with parts they don't supply anymore.

I'm not sure where you were in 82, but Honda very specifically advertised the CX500 Turbo as a liimited production bike with only 5k being made for sale. It was never a production bike.. It was a special collectors edition. The 650 did end its production because of no sales...

PK

·
Registered
775 Posts
Those watches are sold out of China. Going after a counterfeiter in China is as pointless as going after a Nigerian scammer.

Timothy is right about keeping it quiet.

A secret is only secret if just one person knows it and he'd dead.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I bought my 500T from the original owner who lived in Ohio back in '82. He told me he had to order the bike in advance because the dealers (at least in his area) were only getting one to sell. He also had to agree to leave it at the dealership for one month so they could display it on a rotating platform.

The CXTs not being considered a limited bike is news to me. I always thought these bikes were more of an advertising piece at a calculated loss. They cost about the same as a decent new car and from what I understand, Honda was taking a LOSS on the MSRP. On the other hand they are all over the front pages of magazines and drawing people into the dealerships so it's a win when their overall sales increase.

The licensing idea is also good. I don't think it's that outrageous for the classic car market so maybe Honda would be reasonable too?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm not sure where you were in 82

I was in Highschool getting my first English Lessons.........

And girls became more interesting then motorcycles

But more seriously, are you not confusing "limited edition" with "limited supply" ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The whole "limited edition" argument is just silly when talking about parts anyway. Yes companies make "limited production" products to raise the perceived value. This same logic does not extend to parts for that though because limited parts LOWERS value.

Can you imagine trying to make that sales pitch? "This bike is great!! And it is a limited edition! Only a few lucky people will get them! As added bonus we are even limiting the parts avalable!! So when it breaks your screwed!"

I mean really, who wants to buy something like a car or bike if they are told up front "Hey buy this and one year from now when you come in for service we will laugh in your face and tell you to get lost because it is "Limited""

·
Registered
815 Posts
I believe there must be a law as to how long a manufacturer must supply spare parts for any vehicle. Imagine if you bought a 2011 Toyota Camry and you needed a new tail light assembly today and were told they are NLA?

Whatever it is (is 10 year an urban legend?) it would have to apply to any production run. I know Honda's commitment of the past has always gone above and beyond other manufacturers. Most 500T parts were still available in 2002 when the bike was 20 years old. I've heard the bean counters have changed that over the last few years where not so old bikes are now having parts discontinued.

Most limited edition vehicles consist of some extra chrome trim pieces and maybe a set of different wheels. The CXTs are a rare unique item from the ground up and I was impressed with the ease of buying parts just 10 years ago when I knew Honda didn't really have to do it.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I wonder if people in the '40s complained about parts for Model T's?

And if Ford complained about people making replacement parts....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Copywrite, trademarks

Don, just scratch my name on the back of one of those badges please!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
We have a similar problem here in Arkansas, between Harley Davidson and the Arkansas Razorbacks, it is hard to sell anything pork related without one or the other claiming a trademark infringement. With small detail parts like these badges, I cannot imagine there being an issue, what is someone going to sell, 50 or 100? Sell it as a gas cap badge that "fits" Honda 500 or 650. I could see the problem is someone was doing t-shirts with CBR or Accord on them, but a few stinking badges....

I always wondered how the Shelby Cobra copies were able to pull it off, Ford missed a big licensing opportunity there. The Porsche 356 replicas also come to mind. I guess both companies looked at it as cheap advertising, rather than a legal opportunity. The Italians are ruthless when you try to market Ferrari or Lamborghini replica stuff. The country doesn't collect taxes, but they are ruthless about counterfeiting...

·
Registered
41 Posts
So 8 years later. What is the status? I like to have one... Have one 650T with the swivel, one without.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, out of curiosity, I decided to separate the artwork from the cap. Surprisingly easy to do. (Use a fine x-acto knife.)

Going to look into restoration possibilities. (Ie: Possible Testors enamel. Hmm.. Maybe even metallic flake for fun!)
But still need to figure out how to build an "unrolling" apparatus for the cap, itself.

bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another thought.. The ignition key was build in a similar fashion. Will do some careful probing to see how it was assembled.

bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
I only have one good fuel cap and one good key and am not comfortable taking those apart. However, I can and will help looking for companies that can help reproduce what we need.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts