Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don in OZ wrote almost a year ago ( ref OLD FORUM ) :

And we have our bike badge reproduction guy here in Oz looking at making the swivel flap for the Euro and Turbo fuel-caps.

I've currently dis-assembled my turbo fuel cap to lend the complete swivel flap to Brian, and his die-maker is looking at making these flaps from a stronger metal, so that they don't snap the swivel pin as can happen so easily.

Don is there any progress ?

Love to have my badge back on my fuelcap

Pim

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don in OZ wrote almost a year ago ( ref OLD FORUM ) :

And we have our bike badge reproduction guy here in Oz looking at making the swivel flap for the Euro and Turbo fuel-caps.

I've currently dis-assembled my turbo fuel cap to lend the complete swivel flap to Brian, and his die-maker is looking at making these flaps from a stronger metal, so that they don't snap the swivel pin as can happen so easily.

Don is there any progress ?

Love to have my badge back on my fuelcap

Pim
Pim, I only asked Brian, about 3 weeks ago, about how the job was progressing - he was to ring me with a report last week. I was away for the week, and he didn't ring. I'll have to contact him again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pim, I only asked Brian, about 3 weeks ago, about how the job was progressing - he was to ring me with a report last week. I was away for the week, and he didn't ring. I'll have to contact him again.

Did anything come of this?

I didnot realise it was a common fault, but my cxt also has the tank badge missing.

I would be interested in a replacment

Stephen

·
Registered
147 Posts
I will be going to our VJMC social evening on 22 Feb., and Brian is a very regular attendee. He did let me in on a secret that his metal-worked had found out. This guy had pressed the badge into a substrate, and found that the cap is hollow - he had squashed it about 2mm. This all but ruined my loan cap, and Brian got a bit agro with the guy, who has promised to make good the whole cap, and get on with the job of producing many further caps by whatever process it takes. Brian is now of the opinion that the guy was procrastinating in getting back to him on progress, hoping the project had been forgotten.

I'm hoping for good news at the pub., as it has been over 2 months since the last news.

We are also hoping that he hasn't forgotten to produce a mold for the CX650ED, CX500EC, and GL500 caps as well.

I don't know about whether the GL650 and GL700 cap is the same as those in the preceeding sentence.

·
Registered
64 Posts
was this ever made ? i dont see any other reference to it and it just seems to have died !

i could do with one of these, along with other UK owners no doubt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am going to make enquiries into manufacturing these caps with logos and the original honda keys, could i have an idea how many would be interested in these, no idea on priceing at this time, it will totally depend on numbers, i will also make enquiries with the other turbo forums around the world.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I asked Don about these and he replied that he had some made but they didn't turn out ideal and require some rework. He also said;

"The dis-assembly of the fuel cap requires you to get the s/s cover "spun" off the inner body, to get at the screw that holds the pivot.

You then have to get the cover re-spun onto the body again.

A speedo place can do the "spinning" but it may be a bit expensive."

regards,

·
Registered
64 Posts
I asked Don about these and he replied that he had some made but they didn't turn out ideal and require some rework. He also said;

"The dis-assembly of the fuel cap requires you to get the s/s cover "spun" off the inner body, to get at the screw that holds the pivot.

You then have to get the cover re-spun onto the body again.

A speedo place can do the "spinning" but it may be a bit expensive."

regards,

my thought was to get the complete cap manufactured, together with the new keys, this would mean that the key is different to the rest of the bike, i am not sure about this and wondered what other thought before going any futher

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Complete cap? Would work for me 'cause I need one and my old one had a different key anyways.

Wonder how much....

·
Registered
815 Posts
my thought was to get the complete cap manufactured, together with the new keys, this would mean that the key is different to the rest of the bike, i am not sure about this and wondered what other thought before going any futher

Use a dummy lock barrel that would work with any CX key.

What are the odds that someone will walk up to a lone CXT, try a CX size motorcycle key they just so happen to have handy, jump for joy that it worked and then contaminate or siphon the gas?

·
Registered
147 Posts
About six months ago, Brian delivered ten "swivel caps" to me, and we then attempted to fit one to my "vacant" fuel cap, but the manufacturing tollerances had been exceeded, and the new swivel caps were only useful as badges.

He then took two back to the maker, and, at the VJMC meeting last night, he spoke to me about the newer production run. They are supposed to be ready to post - from interstate - so I am eternally hopeful that we get delivery soon.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
So, you're selling key fobs?
I'll take 3.

Anyhow, it is what it is. We'll keep waiting. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
608 Posts
About six months ago, Brian delivered ten "swivel caps" to me, and we then attempted to fit one to my "vacant" fuel cap, but the manufacturing tollerances had been exceeded, and the new swivel caps were only useful as badges.

He then took two back to the maker, and, at the VJMC meeting last night, he spoke to me about the newer production run. They are supposed to be ready to post - from interstate - so I am eternally hopeful that we get delivery soon.

You may want to be very careful with reproducing any Honda parts from the 80's unless you have written permission from Honda themselves... I know that numerous reproduction decal companies have gotten letters from Honda warning them about reproducing their product that they hold the rights to...(A Honda wing, with red, white and blue is obviously their signature)...

Just trying to save you from a lawsuit in court....

Pete

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then those Turbo watches on Ebay are real Honda Merchandise

·
Registered
815 Posts
Those watches are sold out of China. Going after a counterfeiter in China is as pointless as going after a Nigerian scammer.

Timothy is right about keeping it quiet.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those watches are sold out of China.

But they are sold on a website run by a USA firm...... One phone call from Honda and .......

I think Disney protects there products better in this case

This is a USA problem only. You have to blame the American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Don in OZ is located in Australia, no problems over there ( for example : www.decals4motorcycles.com.au )

BDesigns are located in Canada, no problems ( www.bdesigns.ca )

Here in Europe, no problems ( www.bikedecals.co.uk/ )

For a nice discussion about this subject see : Single Over-Head Cam 4 Forums

·
Registered
608 Posts
But they are sold on a website run by a USA firm...... One phone call from Honda and .......

I think Disney protects there products better in this case

This is a USA problem only. You have to blame the American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Don in OZ is located in Australia, no problems over there ( for example : www.decals4motorcycles.com.au )

BDesigns are located in Canada, no problems ( www.bdesigns.ca )

Here in Europe, no problems ( www.bikedecals.co.uk/ )

For a nice discussion about this subject see : Single Over-Head Cam 4 Forums

So you don't see any problem with someone reproducting the Honda wing that is their official company logo? You don't think Honda will care about that at all? The Honda of old is gone... The new Honda management staff looks at things very differently...

This is one of those moments where if you end up in court you are thinking... "What was I doing"????? Reproducing the trademark of a multi-billion dollar company that is on a global scale and market....

It's not just AHM.... AHM has influence on all areas, but Corporate still runs things. With the way sales and the global economy has been, it leaves time to focus on other small items that before weren't a consideration... --Like copyright infraction....

You may want to re-think your viewpoint?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
old is gone... The new Honda management staff looks at things very differently...

Yes in the greatest country in the World maybe

But we in the rest of the World takes things much easier

We in Europe have a fondness for the underdog. ( Maybe because we don't get so many Olympic medales ! )

A big company going after a hobby club for a few Euros would result in a public relations nightmare

Reactions: dutchturbo

·
Registered
147 Posts
My badge-man Brian has already been a "bad boy" according to Honda, and received his letter from them many years ago. That is why he is not advertising reproduction badges any more, AND he is now out of that line of business, too.

I am meant to be going to our VJMC social night tonight - but can't, for two reasons - and Brian is supposed to be waiting for my presence, which may be to present me with 12 to 20 of the re-sized cap badges which WILL fit the fuel caps. I'll post further info after I ring him later this week.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts