Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
First, good job on your profile location and bike model. I just wish everyone would do the same when they register.

I would not start buying valves at this point. More examination needs to be done first. Can you turn the engine with the crankshaft bolt under the radiator? If it turns, you are a lot closer to success. If it turns I would squirt a couple of tablespoons of ATF down each sparkplug hole and let it sit for a couple of days. I think that maybe the overheating has caused the rings to bind to the piston. Hopefully not permanently, the ATF may free things. Even if you can't rotate the engine, add the ATF in the plug hole. If the rings are binded to the cylinder, you may also get lucky. There is also the possibility that the overheating has caused the rings to friction weld to either the pistons or cylinder walls. ATF won't help that out.

If you get the engine to rotate, I would renew the oil, coolant and fuel and try starting it. If the rings are stuck, it may take a lot of miles for them to shake loose. I would say try 50 or so gentle miles if you can and then check the compression. Compression should be checked on a warm engine, throttle wide open, kill switch off, and cranked until the reading stops rising.

Keep us in the loop on this, inquiring minds want to know. And welcome to the forum!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts