Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 33 Posts

· Registered
803 Posts
Yea. I just found the write up he did. I'll be doing it as soon as I receiv the fan. Who has done it?

The thing I am most interested in is the grinding of the cam end. If it needs to be done do I just hit it with my 4" angle?

I did this just last night (Labor day) and I also ground off the exposed end of the cam. The forward most part (about 1/4") of the cam is not threaded so even if you wanted to go back to the original mechanical fan you could do that too. I marked the tip of the cam with masking tape that first 1/4" and measured the depth prior to grinding just to make sure how much I ground off. I used my die grinder with a 2.5" sparating disc. Easy and not stressful. I used a Yamaha R1/R6 fan from the bay. I used an adjustable temp sensor with a range of 140F to 180F so I can dial in the on/off cycle depending on conditions. This is a great mod and many thanks to Shep.

Cheers, 50gary

· Registered
803 Posts
I bought my theremal switch at a local appliance supply store as in commerical appliance replacement parts not where one would go to buy a washer or dryer. My place was called APPCO. It's also adjustable from 140F to 180F.

I went to a radiator shop today the guy said he'd mount it on the radaitor coils as it woud be hotter there. At the Honda dealer they told me a modern Goldwing runs temps like a modern automobile opens at 220F

Edit; oh yeah my switch was about $16.00

Cheers, 50gary

1 - 2 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.