Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on electric fan installs? Wire diagrams? Part numbers?

Here is the one I'm probably going to buy today: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducati-748-916-996-Radiator-Cooling-Electrical-FAN-/330458918104?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf0e2ecd8

Or this (because it comes with mounting hardware: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-UNIVERSAL-SLIM-ELECTRIC-RADIATOR-FAN-HONDA-CIVIC-CRX-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3efd15addeQQitemZ270534028766QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Anyone know how much space I have to work with before I start rubbing on the cam shaft end? I'd rather not have to grind it down.

Anyone use this thermo switch? http://cgi.ebay.com/KSD301-Temperature-Switch-Thermostat-75-C-N-O-KSD-301-/180549409204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a099559b4

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Yea. I just found the write up he did. I'll be doing it as soon as I receiv the fan. Who has done it?

The thing I am most interested in is the grinding of the cam end. If it needs to be done do I just hit it with my 4" angle?

I'd suggest a good hacksaw as the heat fron an angle grinder may heat the shaft enough to melt the oil seal.

A bit of a slog I know but I'd take a more cautious approach myself

I have this project in mind myself but it will be controlled by a new electronic temp gauge

I have on the breadboard.

When I have that working satisfactorily it should provide an output to control a fan

ar higher temps

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is a universal 8 inch fan on amazon. I'd link to it but I'm on my phone right now. Its only like 20 bucks. I think I linked to it in my still noisy thread

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
On my 1st conversion I just moved the rad forward a bit.

With my 1st conversion now well into it's second year with zero problems I've cut my camshafts back to where the threads start on both my CX using my Dremel and a small cutting disc as I will NEVER be going back to mechanical fans.That being said I retro-fitted a Mech fan as a test using some washers inside the hub so could even now still return to one,but won't.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

If you look at the one in the picture there's a small sticker with 80w on it.That equates to 6.6 amps however I'm almost certain they use the same picture for all their fans and that one is their largest 12"+ so I bet the 7" are a whole lot less.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Umm, I didn't have to grind anything or modify the radiator mount in any way. This was literally a fan, wire, fuse, switch and mount kit job. And a ring tongue. That's it. Mine has worked without issue for... I wanna say six months? Toggle mounted just under the seat. Easy peasy. Based on my experience and the experience of some others here, I'd go with a ZX-6 fan off a mid 90's Ninja. I think the extent of my having to modify anything was bending one of the arms to the fan mount points. Bending by pushing with thumbs
. I'm VERY green when it comes to bikes and this took me an afternoon. This, by the guy who got his ass handed to him trying to replace an o2 sensor.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yea. I just found the write up he did. I'll be doing it as soon as I receiv the fan. Who has done it?

The thing I am most interested in is the grinding of the cam end. If it needs to be done do I just hit it with my 4" angle?

I did this just last night (Labor day) and I also ground off the exposed end of the cam. The forward most part (about 1/4") of the cam is not threaded so even if you wanted to go back to the original mechanical fan you could do that too. I marked the tip of the cam with masking tape that first 1/4" and measured the depth prior to grinding just to make sure how much I ground off. I used my die grinder with a 2.5" sparating disc. Easy and not stressful. I used a Yamaha R1/R6 fan from the bay. I used an adjustable temp sensor with a range of 140F to 180F so I can dial in the on/off cycle depending on conditions. This is a great mod and many thanks to Shep.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
422 Posts
Not sure I would use the rad fins as a heat source, since air movement would probably throw off the reading some, I'd bet.

Edit - and it looks like those switches are closed at low temp and opens at high temp. You need open at low temp and closed at high temp (unless you want to monkey with relays)

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Yea. Damn. Anyone have a source?

The ones I use cannot usually be sourced locally.

Shoreride on this forum bought some after I pointed him to them.I have some and have sent them to other members if required $10 total for 2(One as a spare just in case) inc International postage to the US.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.