Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get rid of the stock air intake and box on my '78 CX500 and replace it with a small cone air filter out to the side. I have seen some a lot of bikes with this modification on this forum - any advice on best ways to do this? Or maybe a link to an article that explains how to do this? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
It's simple. Disconnect all the hoses and take out the bolts and no matter what you do don't break it. Pop on the pods and have fun rejetting. If you find the magic combination you will be good to go. If not expect to have tons of trouble till you end up putting the stock box back in.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I, like may guys here have taken out the dreaded airbox. It's a bit of a struggle but remove the three horizontal bolts from down nesr the rear fender and it's not too bad. When you remove the airbox you also remove the mounting pins for the side covers. I wanted to keep my side covers but had Uni foam air filters. I made some weld on tabs with small pins to take the place of the four (two per side) pins. Not too easy buy nice When finished I have the stock look but also have the convience of individual filters. I also moved the battery to just between the air filters welded a small strap to the down tube and the OEM battery bracket bolted to that. It's a better position for weight distribution, center of masss and all that. In this shot you can also see a 3/4" dia. frame brace going from the down tube to the top of the swingarm weldment. tighens up the handling. Every little bit helps. everyting fits filters, side covers and battery and braces,

Cheers, 50gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts