Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm in the middle of replacing the stator on my CX500A (1980)

So far I've removed the stator pictured below:

13589153_10157234201670637_1299678933_o.jpg 13582332_10157234201580637_1154649257_o.jpg

My question is, the new stator that came with it has 6 wires and 3 block connectors, I'm presuming I follow all the wires 1 by 1 and connect them to the new block connectors replacing the wires from the old stator with the new ones.

Is there anything I need to be careful with here or is it just a case of being methodical?

One other main thing is the rubber seal that the wires seem to pass through, they have their own individual hole for each wire, example below (Mine's in much better condition):

honda-cx500-how-to-remove-your-stator-alternator-coils-cdi-model-9.jpg

Can I re-use this or do I need a new one? In either case I'm guessing I'll have to push each one through one by one?

Thanks in advance, any tutorials of removing/installing the new one would be great if they're out there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's the old one. I was told to replace it regardless whilst I had the engine apart.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the engine apart as it'd been sat in the rain for years unused. When I opened it up it had the cam chain guide and tensioner were snapped, cam chain was worn, mechanical pump seal and impeller old and buggered, clutch seized which have all since been fixed.

Was told to replace that whilst it's open.

I haven't done any diagnostics, I don't have any electrical testing equipment.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Drop a pence or two on a decent multi meter. Show pics of the old and new stator side by side, and where did you get the new stator?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, you gotta run every wire through the rubber bits and plug each one into the block. Just make sure you get them all in the right place. It took me a couple hours to find that I put the ground wire on the wrong pin. As for the grommet, I drilled a larger hole in mine, ran all the wires through, then sealed it up with a big ol gob of rtv.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drop a pence or two on a decent multi meter. Show pics of the old and new stator side by side, and where did you get the new stator?
Got the stator from David Silver, I'll snap some pics when I get a second.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, you gotta run every wire through the rubber bits and plug each one into the block. Just make sure you get them all in the right place. It took me a couple hours to find that I put the ground wire on the wrong pin. As for the grommet, I drilled a larger hole in mine, ran all the wires through, then sealed it up with a big ol gob of rtv.
Thanks, I'll give that a go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts