Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Replacing head gaskets, engine safe to rotate?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  CXPHREAK 
#1 ·
As above, I have both heads off as the right hand head gasket has failed on my 650 turbo. I timed it with the lh cylinder at tdc as I thought it was that side which had failed. Now with both heads off is the engine safe to rotate or is there a risk of disturbing the liners? They look like full wet liners but not sure.

#2 ·
I am hoping that you have already drained the water and oil. If not do that now. Yes, you can rotate as much as you want, the liners are cast in. The only timing/indexing issue will be getting the valves adjusted. With the heads off it is a good time to get that ridge off of the top of the cylinder. A scotch brite pad should do it. Clean it very well when you are done. If you did not do it earlier, this is also a good time to clean out the oil pan, a lot a crap can settle there over 30+ years. Read the assembly instructions on the forum when you go to rebuild. At this point you want to inspect the head for straightness. Use a machinist straight edge to check. If there is even a fraction of clearance go ahead and get the head milled. .030" will do it, you have plenty of valve clearance. Last, I would suggest a valve job to just clean up 37 year's of crap. Assuming your rings are still good, this should get your compression back around 150#.

Reactions: cmdrew
#3 ·
I have the workshop manual but I always like to hear how others have done jobs so could you please point me to an article on replacing head gaskets as I haven't found one yet. I have drained the water (but not the oil as it was fresh in).

Amusingly, I am also rebuilding a CX500T where the engine has been sat for at least 23 years and thought that although it only had 7K miles on it i would whip the heads off while the engine was out and replace the head gaskets at least as I got a set with the bike. The water jackets around the liners were full of silt - to the top! I've cleaned it all out now but I can see that this engine hasn't been stored very well and I'm sure there will be a lot of issues to resolve. Best whip the water pump cover off as well and check in there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.