Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an CX500E 1983 that suddenly after the winter storage didn't charge the battery anymore.

I have checked the charging output and its low, around 12V. I have noticed a continuity between the yellow cables from the alternator and the earth. :( So my conclusion is that I have some short-circuit in the stator windings.

But before I disassemble the engine I would like to ask for advice from more experienced people here!
Could it be some thing else that makes the battery to not charge? The battery was replaced when this happened.

How do I find the right parts? Is it the same stator in all CX500 models?
Any advice on were to buy a cheap stator?

I'm sure there are some thread on this topic already here but I just cant find it...

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
^^As he said... if there’s continuity to ground the stator is fubar. This may help when looking at stators - yours is the TI variant:

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/honda-cdi-and-ti-stator-comparison-which-which/

You don’t want the CDI stator. If you haven’t seen it already most of the procedures for replacement are here:

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/triple-or-quadruple-bypass-cx500-cx650-gl500-gl650/

Check whether you can see the hole on your tensioner arm so you know if you need to replace the chain while you’re in there:

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles...atic-tensioner-honda-cx500-gl500-cx650-gl650/

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles...omatic-status-life-left-triple-bypass-needed/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
It's fine. But you may need to move the ground wire on it and change the exit routing of the wiring pigtail.

Your bike is TI and not CDI ignition?

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
A cx500E would be TI wouldn't it?

Reactions: wassen

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Sometimes they just get that from the engine number.

They weren't built in 83 so it was built some time before that.

Can we have the engine number with the last few digits hashed out?

He's in Stockholm so it may be a euro.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
The bike in Wassens avatar looks like a Eurosport.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
my frame number is PC06-200xxxx.
And yes I think it is an Eurosport.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im trying to check the output from the charging system again. And Im struggling to fully understand how to check the ampere loading from the alternator. In Haynes guide it says "on later models with the 30A ribbon-type fuse, remove the fuse and connect the ammeter across the fuse terminals." So long I'm agreeing. Then they say " Disconnect the Black wire from the voltage regulator/rectifier unit. This will isolate the regulator, taking it out of circuit." Is this really how to do this? Then nothing will flow thru the ammeter?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Your bike is definitely a 500 E (Euro) model. Thus TI ignition. Stators (G8) for these are easy to get and generally more reliable than those (G47) for the CDI-type bikes.

Sture

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Im trying to check the output from the charging system again. And Im struggling to fully understand how to check the ampere loading from the alternator. In Haynes guide it says "on later models with the 30A ribbon-type fuse, remove the fuse and connect the ammeter across the fuse terminals." So long I'm agreeing. Then they say " Disconnect the Black wire from the voltage regulator/rectifier unit. This will isolate the regulator, taking it out of circuit." Is this really how to do this? Then nothing will flow thru the ammeter?
Since no one has answered you I'll give it a try. The black wire to the regulator is the " sense " wire. It is how the regulator knows the voltage in the system. With that wire removed the regulator will not control the voltage out put from the alternator. Therefore you would be measuring the maximum output of the alternator. The diagram you are referring to in the Haynes manual leaves out some of the circuits. Compare that diagram with the wiring diagram at the back of the Haynes manual. There will still be current flowing through the ammeter. For what it is worth, that is my understanding.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,736 Posts
It's fine. But you may need to move the ground wire on it and change the exit routing of the wiring pigtail.
Ground wire? It is a simple 3 phase stator with "Y" connection. There are only 3 wires, one from each winding and no wire from the common connection so there should not be a ground wire.

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
True enough. Brain flatus.

I'm usually putting them in CDI bikes running aftermarket ignitions which have a ground on the multi plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man its hard to get the rear cover off. Have been tapping gently with a wood peace between the hammer and the cover for long now.
Any hint on how to get this done?

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Tap sideways on the engine mounting points.

Double check all the bolts are out.

Have you removed the coolant pump cover and impeller?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts