Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I want to find out if anyone has ever tried to find a suitable replacement for the old radiator on a CX500. If you were able to mount one, what bike did you get it from? Was it a pain mounting it? And could you perhaps post a picture of it? I've been checking out images and alternate possibilities on EBAY. Let me know. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of others interested as well.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,678 Posts
It probably won't help you but this is what I did

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,243 Posts
You're looking for a radiator for your '78? I might have one. Condition unknown but suspected good, given the source. It might be a couple weeks before I can dig one out and pressure test.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input and the interesting pictures. What I was after though, has anyone tried to successfully install a non CX500 or even GL500 radiator. If they did and it worked, what did they use?
I had a radiator for the 78 CX500 Resurrection, but after I cleaned it using vinegar, I didn't exactly perform any leak testing. Upon installing and filling it with coolant, found it leaks pretty bad. So, I did perform a bubble leak test to find out where the leaks were and then see if I can solder them.
Photograph Tire Automotive tire Wheel Water
Photograph Tire Automotive tire Wheel Water

I capped the inlet and outlet and then used 5-10 PSI air to find the leaks. I was able to solder some of the leaks, but one in particular did not work out. The brass kept fragmenting. So, I did have an extra GL500 Radiator that I installed temporarily to make some start and run test.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Rim

It was a pain getting the top coolant line mounted, but so far it is not leaking. I did find a used 78 radiator for sale at an acceptable price on EBAY and bought it. I will be cleaning and leak testing it next weekend. But these are all old radiators. If you know of anyone having successfully using a radiator off a different bike, let me know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,243 Posts
I recall an old discussion about having these recored, but I don't know if anything came of it.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
I read some time back of aluminium radiators for mini minors being used but I think they needed modification of inlet and outlet positions to work in this application.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Id be interested to see if smaller mx type could be plumbed in series on engine bars...ala some bikes with oil coolers...(e.g some bmws) ..
Edit YES the fan fitment could be a issue but race bikes and street bikes like the rd350lc didnt have one..

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking around on BING and discovered this radiator. It is comes complete, but is meant for an ATV up to 300cc. It is also a little too wide, 13 inches verses 10 inches. There is a smaller one but not sure if it would be better for a 500cc engine.

Rectangle Electronic instrument Gadget Font Gas
Circuit component Gadget Computer hardware Electric blue Font
Circuit component Gadget Computer hardware Electric blue Font

·
Registered
43 Posts
EDIT: Never mind, I misread that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts