Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very nice persons decide to be nice and wash my bike, she used a presser washer and now the stripping on my side covers are half gone. Is that any place to get replacements for them? The bike is in pretty good shape, never been laid down and the paints is still pretty good so I would like to keep it as factory stock as I can. The side covers are in good shape other then the damaged stickers, even the CX500 Custome is still pretty good. Any ideas about replacement?

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
425 Posts
FWIW. When I painted my bike in 2011. I searched for months trying to find the side cover decals for the 1981 CX500C. The unique thing about the '81 CXC is the side cover logo uses a script (ie cursive) type lettering for the "CX" and "Custom". The other years used a different style of lettering.

None were to be found for 1981 CXC. Although, other models and years were available.

I ended up masking the original CX500 Custom logo, wanted to preserve the script type logo. The stripes were traced onto paper, then transferred with carbon paper onto the side cover, masked and painted. The final was 2 coats of clear.

So, depending on the year and model (please add to your signature) there are side cover decals available.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,904 Posts
If there is enough intact for them to scan to get the shape a local sign shop might be able to cut something from vinyl for you.

BTW, watch the wheel bearings because pressure washers produce enough force to push the hot, soapy water past their seals (not to mention into other places where it can wash out the grease or do other harm). IMHO pressure washers may be suitable for cleaning parts but are absolutely not suitable for use on a complete motorcycle, or any other intact & assembled machine for that matter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If there is enough intact for them to scan to get the shape a local sign shop might be able to cut something from vinyl for you.

BTW, watch the wheel bearings because pressure washers produce enough force to push the hot, soapy water past their seals (not to mention into other places where it can wash out the grease or do other harm). IMHO pressure washers may be suitable for cleaning parts but are absolutely not suitable for use on a complete motorcycle, or any other intact & assembled machine for that matter.
Good advice. I had the bearings repacked when I got new tires two weeks ago. There is enough to fill in by hand painting if I had that skill. That was my original plan till I looked at just how detailed those strips are.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,904 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
425 Posts
No need to see naked GoldWings.

No mystery.......they're already naked.

A good stripping brings in the anticipation, intreige......eroticism........excitement.

I'll quit.....don't wanna push forum protocol.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
A good stripping brings in the anticipation, intreige......eroticism........excitement.
Very interesting choice of words. "intreige" is a new one for me.

• Haha
Reactions: CXPHREAK
1 - 13 of 13 Posts