Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hit up AutoZone, they sell several that are about the same size as the OEM horn, and are advertised as being louder.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My horn wasn't working and after some tapping with a plastic hammer, WD40, and adjusting the pitch screw it started working again.

i'll give that a shot...

JC WHITNEY HAS A HORN THAT WILL FIT FOR ABOUT $12-13... MUCH LOUDER THAN THE STOCK HORN... SAME BOLT PATTERN

thanks. do you happen to know the code/product #?

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,472 Posts
My horn wasn't working and after some tapping with a plastic hammer, WD40, and adjusting the pitch screw it started working again.
I got three replacement horns from Sidecar Bob. Thanks Bob! They all work! The "least pretty" is the right pitch.
Reading above:
Can I change the tone with the little screw on the back to get harmonics? If so, I can choose a shineyer horn.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
the Stebels featured in the early thread look good-some more compact than others
Many of the original "twin horns" of machines of this era were pretty good....others resembled a bird squawk

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My opinion is the louder the better for sure!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,953 Posts
Depending on the condition if the parts inside the horn you may be able to tweak the tone a bit but I've had them stop working instead in the past so it can be a bit of a gamble, although if that kills it it probably didn't have a lot of time left anyway.
FWIW, I used to worry about how the horn sounded but over the years I find I use it less and less so anything that works and isn't particularly ugly is OK with me so I run a single 99 dB horn on each of my bikes (I believe they are approx. equal to the original high tone), bought cheap when I found them on sale somewhere. Ironically, I bought several of these because, while the one on the GoldWing was pretty old, I had been going through about one per year on Eccles (it can get pretty salty) and didn't expect these to last either but I think these ones are about 5 or 6 years old now ;-)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Depending on the condition if the parts inside the horn you may be able to tweak the tone a bit but I've had them stop working instead in the past so it can be a bit of a gamble, although if that kills it it probably didn't have a lot of time left anyway.
Maybe I should play with my dead one first, then I have spares too. And I can probably shine up the one that is the right pitch. You are right, function is what matters. The 650's horns sound as good as the 500s now.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,953 Posts
I can't remember how they looked but if it is just grimy you should be able to wipe it off with a rag dipped in mineral spirits and if rusty you can gently sand it and give it a couple of light coats of black spray paint and it will probably look OK.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I can't remember how they looked but if it is just grimy you should be able to wipe it off with a rag dipped in mineral spirits and if rusty you can gently sand it and give it a couple of light coats of black spray paint and it will probably look OK.
The Black is okay. I used aluminum foil on the chrome and steel wool . Maybe I'll try sandpaper. But it is fine for now. Happy to have a horn that you can hear!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Okay, Zinc! The shiny outer ring. Thanks!

Lee

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.