Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my choke cable on a CX 650 Custom and it looks like putitng a new one on might be a little bit of work. Just checking with the group on the best way to do it. I took the tank off thinking it mihgt be a easy point of access, but it looks like one of the two carbs needs to be reomoved. Anyone changed one recently that may have some advise, like which of the two carbs needs to be removed to better access it. I looked at removing the battery and tryping to access the cable from there but it appeard that yuou couldn't get it from there. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
The carbs don't need to be removed. Take the cable off the handlebars however it goes. And give it all the slack you can. There is a screw near the throttle cables that holds the choke cable. Loosen that and try to move the cable in position to take it off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I broke my choke cable on a CX 650 Custom and it looks like putitng a new one on might be a little bit of work. Just checking with the group on the best way to do it. I took the tank off thinking it mihgt be a easy point of access, but it looks like one of the two carbs needs to be reomoved. Anyone changed one recently that may have some advise, like which of the two carbs needs to be removed to better access it. I looked at removing the battery and tryping to access the cable from there but it appeard that yuou couldn't get it from there. thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm looking for a source for a replacement choke cable sleeve including the curved metal attachment at the lever. Mine broke at the bend where it threads into the bottom of the choke lever housing.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Just so we know what we're looking at here's the parts diagram.

I have often thought since parts are hard to find why not just convert it over to the simple style of the cx/gl500's. Since the 650 is shorter at the backbone the cx500 choke and little bracket would be easy to adapt.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It is a simple fix it is just a screw on the carb take it loose and pull it off the handlebar put the new one on the same way really simple 15min job.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just so we know what we're looking at here's the parts diagram.

I have often thought since parts are hard to find why not just convert it over to the simple style of the cx/gl500's. Since the 650 is shorter at the backbone the cx500 choke and little bracket would be easy to adapt.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Suposedly bikebandit.com has a cable called the choke cable which is #3 but I think someone is confused since that's a clutch cable.

Unless you can fined a used one you're not going to be able to get one. That's why I'm all for going back to the cx500 style which is abundant.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Suposedly bikebandit.com has a cable called the choke cable which is #3 but I think someone is confused since that's a clutch cable.

Unless you can fined a used one you're not going to be able to get one. That's why I'm all for going back to the cx500 style which is abundant.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The end up at the handlebar of my Cx650 choke cable is also broken, plus the outer housing is simply...gone, it was like that when I bought the bike back this spring, let us know how it goes, where you found the cable and how much, I need one too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts