Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there that can repair and paint plastic GL parts with scratches in a professional manner? If so please PM me.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Several people have had good luck with plastifix. As for painting it depends on the color. What color is the bike. I believe that larry figured out the color combination for Candy Muse Red but it isn't cheap.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The color is Wineberry. I contacted Motorcycle Paint Supply and the told me that it is a combo of three colors.At this point I don't know what those colors are yet. I think that the color is achived by base coats then layers of specific colors. But I'm not really sure. I'm just looking for "same as new" results, which I know is something I don't have the ability to do.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Like they said most of the honda colors of these bikes are a series of different layers. And that makes it a pain to replicate.

Do the panels have good paint but are cracked? If so someone skilled with plastifix could repair it from the behind.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yuppers, the colors are a pain to duplicate when it's in layers. No the plastic is not cracked but scratched deeply. They just need to be filled,sanded,primed,then painted the challenging color combo. Surely we have a pro painter on this forum??

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Yuppers, the colors are a pain to duplicate when it's in layers. No the plastic is not cracked but scratched deeply. They just need to be filled,sanded,primed,then painted the challenging color combo. Surely we have a pro painter on this forum??

Surely we do but how much is it worth. Larry shot a set of panels for me which I put on today and Jet Black paint on two panels cost $60 in materials. Plus shipping both ways.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Part(s) that need repair are the lids to Hondaline saddlebags. I'm sure the lids need to be detached,which I think I can do. If a pro job can be done I would gladly pay a fair price but it would have to match the factory's paint???

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
You could always be a bit different and try something in contrast, color wise, kind of like two toning. Or maybe a faux chrome paint? Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, but I'm somewhat anal about keeping it the way it came out of the factory...............maybe a bit too anal at times. If it weren't in such good shape I would prob go the way you suggested.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Thanks, but I'm somewhat anal about keeping it the way it came out of the factory...............maybe a bit too anal at times. If it weren't in such good shape I would prob go the way you suggested.

How much is this worth to you? Not asking because I want to do it but when Larry figured out the combination of Candy Muse Red it cost him $100 for 4 ounces of paint just to do the test. And he had to do it several times. Maybe 3 at least. And that was working with a computer to code it. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost $300-500 to do an actual color match and get it close. Maybe not daylight close but inside close. In addition to repairing the panels.

You might talk to some body shops in your area about the paint and see what they have to say. I'm a certified auto collision technician and I did my fair share of mixing and painting and I don't think I could even come close for a decent/inexpensive price.

If you don't know paint you're looking at the plastifix or similar kit to repair the bags, stripping down all the old paint, plus layers of sealer, primer, paint, clear and buffing. Multiply the cost of materials by $60 and hour. That's the ouch factor. The joy of painting bikes is it doesn't boost the value up much more than it already is. I do hope you can find someone to get it painted for a good price.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did talk to one shop and he estimated around $500 ( now this is just for the lids). I am communicating with a bike paint supplier and so far they said its a combo of 3 colors. I'm thinking that it's in layering the colors one over the other that gives the final color. What do you think?

I'm not sure if the $500 price is worth it. Maybe a figure around $400 would be more palatable........I think. Anyways, how do I get in touch with Larry?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Roger, no matter who you have paint the parts, your going to find the color to be a bit different than whats on the bike. Red fades the fastest of all colors from the years of sun. Even if it was garage kept. The paint used for many of the bikes is a candy paint. By that I mean it's consists of 3 stages. A base color, then a transparent color itself, and the clear coat to cover it all. A slight change in the base color can change the color you put over it. Not only that, but the number of coats of color can change the outcome too. I spent a few months working on and off with the paint shop trying to get a perfect match for the candy muse red. We got very close but I could still see a difference.

I have talked to a few guys that have used the paints from ColorRite.com with fairly good success. However, they were painting the entire bike. Not just a piece of it like you and I were trying to do. If all you are doing is the saddle bags then you may be ok since they are detached from any other part that butts up against it like the tank and side covers. Either way you go it's going to be expensive. Good paint has gotten VERY costly now days.

With all that said, you should find a shop close to you that's willing to do the work. That way you have the bike close when they start to paint the color to see if the match is close. You would be time and money ahead. Painting candy base colors is one of the hardest things to apply correctly even for the most seasoned painters. And with so much distance between you I, I'm going to graciously have to bow out on this one.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Damn candy paints.

This is a body I did for my brothers bike. 2 coats of base, 10 coats of candy and 3 coats of clear. I was freaking out come coat 7 because it wasn't getting darker. Then two drops of paint fell on one side. After I finished the tank I could still see those two stupid spots. Not even close to hidden.

The color of two coats of that paint looks like this.

This is why I like black. You only need two coats and you're done. Add more and the color doesn't change.

Good Luck with your paint and wallet.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate your honesty and candor. It seems, at this point, that Looking for another set of bags would be the wisest choice.I can see getting the bags repainted would be a "skys" the limit price. I love the bike and want to keep it in the near pristine shape it's in. It only has 8000 miles on it.

So if anyone that is reading this topic knows of a Wineberry set that is in super condition that's for sale please contact me.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a footnote guys. I checked with a paint supplier and was told that the Wineberry red is around $600/gallon !!!! I know it wouldn't take a gallon but you were right on with your estimation. Good golly, and there is other stuff to buy too...........

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just found another paint shop that will do the job from 250-300 dollars. Including replacing the vinyl strips. That would work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.