Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been starting to work on my bike for the past few weeks. Right now Larry is rebuilding my carbs so I had some time to work on a few other things this weekend. I wanted to get the saddle bags done since I am going with a crinkle flat black look on the bike. They were fiber glass with a metal latch on each end.

The guy who gave me the bike had pulled these off a YAMAHA bike and made custom mounts for them. This is what they USED to look like.

The tops of the saddle bags

I did a coat of flat black first on each piece and then covered it with a "Dyno-Color" textured black with white speckled flakes

You can see the white in it

Then after those were dry after several hours, I put a second coat on and hit it with a normal flat black to get the white spot off

Here is what it ended up looking like

Tomorrow I am going to do the plastic side panels with the same texture and pull off the plastic lettering, spray it and have it match. It came out really well I think.

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Clifford, it was a several step process. I am wondering if I still need to treat the boxes with some type of weather proof seal spray. I got the spray paint at Home Depot and it's enamel, it might be ok.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks great! It gives the bike style while being functional too. And I would go ahead and do some type of sealer over it. Although it may be fine without it, it would be a shame if it didn't last.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So here is a question I've been thinking about with saddle bags. Seeing how close yours are to the exhaust wont it burn threw them? I've been wanting bags on my bike but this has been my problem and where I move my lights to for turn signals. But I do like the crinkled look, kinda reminds me of bed liner for a truck but I still like how it looks. How close to the tips of the exhaust are the bottoms of those bags?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just put a set of hard Yamaha bags on my 79 Customer as well. I've been wondering how to paint / finish them, this is an interesting look, for sure. I might have to rethink.

I put mine on a couple weeks ago, driven about 400 km on them so far, and the heat doesn't seem to be a problem. One bag has a metal heat shield on the bottom, but the other does not. After riding about a hundred kilometers (60 miles), I could not feel heat in the bottom.

To the OP, looks great!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine are just fiberglass, without the metal heat shield. I haven't driven the bike yet in the road so I don't know how hot it will get. I am still fixing up the bike and hopefully will be able to ride it by this weekend if all goes well.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Rickbert, It is a shame that the rectangle sgaure erea was not a bit larger it would be perfect for inspection sticker which back in the day may have be a regi sticker space or info about the bike who knows but a bit bigger and our inspection stickers would fit there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts