Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you have to remove to remove the tach cable? I took a quick look at it and it looks like it ran behind the radiator, so I'm guessing I have to get that off? Also what can I use to cap the hole where the cable was coming out of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
ncJasen

The radiator does have to come off to plug.

Why do you want to plug the hole?

Your tach gives valuable info.

If it is leaking replace the seal, not too hard to do. Info, using search function.

steve

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Just be extremely careful removing the retention screw that holds the engine end of the cable, from all the posts I've seen in here over the years it's really in there tight and very esy to strip the head on.

I'd invest (or borrow) a hand-held impact screwdriver. I've got a great Snap-On one at home and a cheap Harbor Freight one at work that works almost as well. It takes a bit of practice getting used to using them but they're indispensible at times.

The Snap-On one comes with a 1/4" square socket drive end that will adapt to most anything and the HF one comes with a 3/16" hexagonal drive that I'm sure an adapter could be found for so you could use it with small sockets.

It's an absolute must to have them perfectly perpendicular to the work at hand (straight in line with the fastener) and at least a 16 oz hammer starting with light taps. Don't overdo it, you'r just trying to break the initial resistance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going the minimalist route with the bike and its just one of the things I'm taking off. My two options are leave the cable on and put a cap at the end of the tach cable or take the cable all the way off and cap where it goes into the engine.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going the minimalist route with the bike and its just one of the things I'm taking off. My two options are leave the cable on and put a cap at the end of the tach cable or take the cable all the way off and cap where it goes into the engine.

Thanks for the info.

Did you ever get this done? I'm going for the same approach. Just wondering if you found it useful to cap the hole where the tach cable goes into the engine?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.